Shabbat shalom! Hard to believe we are already at August, and Elul is only two weeks away.
Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with our brothers and sisters under attack in Israel, Ukraine, and the women of this country.
Stay cool, stay safe and stay healthy!
Here are stories from the last week:
- Exciting Harvesting Takes Place at the Milk and Honey Farm (8/3/2023) - The Boulder JCC is rejoicing as the farmers and volunteers came together to celebrate the bountiful harvests of the season, one plant being the Hair Melon. The harvest took place over the past week, Continue Reading
- Column: Rabbi Black: “It Lessens Our Own Humanity When We Take the Life of Another Person” (8/3/2023) - When the perpetrator of this act of racist and antisemitic violence was found guilty on all counts this past June, I felt a palpable sense of relief. Justice had been done and this evil human would be punished for his horrific crime. Upon hearing the news that he would be given the death penalty, however, I… Continue Reading
- Column: What Will Happen to the Refuge That Is Israel? (8/3/2023) - It is cruel irony that Israelis are preparing to move to Germany or Poland where their parents or grandparents survived Hitler. Continue Reading
- Czech Torah Arrives at Bonai! (8/1/2023) - Congregation Bonai Shalom is thrilled to announce that we have received a Torah from the Pinchas Synagogue in Prague, Czech Republic! Continue Reading
- Upcoming 2023 National Preparedness Month Theme: Older Adult Preparedness (7/31/2023) - In June, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) announced that the theme of National Preparedness Month (September) will focus on preparing older adults for disaster. “With the Atlantic hurricane season now underway, it is imperative that we advocate for the well-being of our nation’s older adults and champion them as valued, honored, and respected members… Continue Reading
- In Historic Week, Israel Premier Tech’s Cycling Sprinters Make It Back-to-Back Wins (7/31/2023) - Premier Tech’s Israeli sprinters Itamar Einhorn and Oded Kogut have etched their names in the Israeli cycling books by winning stage 1 of Czech Tour and stage 2 of Dookola Mazowsza on Thursday. Continue Reading
- Letter: Jayapal’s Recent Comments (7/31/2023) - I’m writing to provide some background for the situation in which Rep. Jamila Jayapal characterized Israel as a “racist state.” And to comment on media misrepresentation of the conflict between Israel and the Palestinians. Continue Reading
- Call of the Shema (8/1/2023) - A poem by Todd Greenberg. Continue Reading
- Beth Ami Announces Good Movie Club’s August Selection (7/31/2023) - Beth Ami Colorado Congregation for Humanistic Judaism has launched a movie club that focuses on provocative films that have a connection to Jewish and/or humanistic values. August's selection is "MILK" Continue Reading
- Jason Weiner Bet Mitzvah (7/31/2023) - On Saturday, August 5th, 2023, Jason Weiner will be called to the Torah as Bet Mitzvah at Congregation Har HaShem. Continue Reading
Arts and Culture
- Arts Classes Now Open for the Fall at the Boulder JCC (8/3/2023) - Did you working with clay or paint as a young person or are you currently looking to try a new art activity? Come to the Boulder JCC for all things art! Continue Reading
- August Line Up for Colorado Hebrew Chorale (8/3/2023) - Enjoy a Zoom program, an in-person program, and auditions for new choristers, all in the month of August! Continue Reading
- Beth Ami Invites the Community to a Humanistic Havdalah and a “Walk in the Park” (8/1/2023) - After a brief Havdalah to close Shabbat, we’ll stroll around the lake, with pauses for readings and discussion. Continue Reading