Shabbat shalom! I don’t know about you, but my fall always starts on September first. Regardless of the geophysical calendar, September feels like fall — and it always presages the High Holidays, too. Maybe because they were both timed around the harvest, the beginning of the school year and the beginning of the Jewish year makes September feel different, even though it’s been decades since I was in school. There’s a sense of renewal, something new starting, a feeling of possibilities. And who knew that we’d be praying for 5780 to wrap up as quickly as possible when it started last September?
As worrisome as things are these days, try to take some time out over the next few weeks to take a late afternoon walk. The air will feel crisper, the days are getting shorter, you can enjoy the leaves beginning to turn and the sunset. Focus on these things, and not the scary things that are going on in the world or your life. You’ll be amazed how much calmer you feel when you get home.
Please be sure to follow all the recommendations/requirements of Boulder County Public Health, including wearing masks in public. Governor Polis has now issued an order requiring masks in all public indoor spaces. The City of Boulder has seen a spike in cases recently; please be vigilant in protecting your families and yourself.
You can find all of our local community virtual services at the “Jewish Community Virtual Offerings” link below under “Events”. There is also a link to the list of online programs being offered by the Boulder JCC.
Meanwhile, here are sources that will have the most up-to-date information about COVID-19 in Boulder and Colorado:
- Boulder JCC for the Jewish community
- Congregation Har HaShem for the Jewish community
- City of Boulder
- Boulder County
- Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment
- Centers for Disease Control
Stay safe, stay healthy, and have a great weekend.
- OneTable Introduces “Here For,” High Holidays DIY Site (9/3/2020) - Powered by OneTable, Here For is a platform to highlight the resources that currently exist while using technology to enhance and evolve the High Holiday season. Continue Reading
- 5781 Calendars Are In! (9/3/2020) - Boulder Center for Judaism is excited to announce that the 5781 Calendars are in and they are nicer than ever… Continue Reading
- Communities and Nonprofits Need Corporate Giving Now More Than Ever (9/1/2020) - Research shows that 78% of U.S. consumers want companies to address important social justice issues. Continue Reading
- Unpacking Unorthodox: In Case You Missed It Live (9/2/2020) - Watch the YouTube recording of this very interesting talk by a Chabad rebbitzen about the realities behind "Unorthodox". Continue Reading
- Becoming A Soulful Parent: A Class for Parents of Teens (8/30/2020) - The Boulder JCC is excited to start a new session of Becoming A Soulful Parent for parents of teens between the ages of 13-18. Continue Reading
- Delilah Berry Bat Mitzvah (8/30/2020) - On Saturday, August 29th, 2020, Delilah Berry was called to the Torah as a Bat Mitzvah with Adventure Judaism. Continue Reading
- Piper Lewis Bat Yisrael (8/30/2020) - On Saturday, August 29th, 2020, Piper Lewis became a Bat Yisrael with Adventure Judaism. Continue Reading
Arts and Culture
- Author Talk About the Life and Influence of Elie Wiesel (9/2/2020) - Ariel Burger, author of "Witness: Lessons from Elie Wiesel's Classroom," will speak on Sunday, September 13 via Zoom. Continue Reading
- Hidden Sparks Photography: Images of Ordinary Life in an Extraordinary Land (9/1/2020) - Join local, internationally-known photographer Bruce Shaffer as he guides us through images that are quirky and complex, comforting and disturbing, stark, and beautiful. They reflect his wanderings and work, far off the tourist trail. Continue Reading
- Join Har HaShem Virtually – September 25 – October 2 (9/24/2020) - Here is a quick list of all virtual events sponsored by Congregation Har HaShem in the next week. Continue Reading
- Unique High Holiday Services and Classes This Week at Nevei Kodesh (9/24/2020) - Nevei Kodesh, a warm and welcoming Jewish Renewal Community invites you to join us this week virtually for prayer, study and connection! Continue Reading
- Creative Days of Awe at Bonai (9/21/2020) - Zoom Tashlich, Shabbat Shuvah, Virtual Break-the-Fast? After a successful and meaningful virtual Rosh HaShanah, Congregation Bonai Shalom is ready to continue offering creative ways to connect spiritually and reflect with our community. Continue Reading
- L’Shanah Tova! Join Har HaShem Virtually – September 18-25 (9/17/2020) - Here is a quick list of all virtual events sponsored by Congregation Har HaShem in the next week. Continue Reading
- Shana Tova and Special Virtual Offerings at Nevei Kodesh This Week (9/17/2020) - Nevei Kodesh, a warm and welcoming Jewish Renewal Community invites you to join us this week virtually for prayer, study and connection! Continue Reading
- Join Har HaShem Virtually – September 11-18 (9/10/2020) - Here is a quick list of all virtual events sponsored by Congregation Har HaShem in the next week. Continue Reading
- Attend a Virtual Tea to Celebrate Grandparent’s Day (9/8/2020) - The Boulder JCC and PJ Library of JEWISHcolorado are excited to host a Virtual Grandparent’s Tea to celebrate National Grandparents Day on Sunday, September 13. Continue Reading
- Chai Elul teaching with Morah Yehudis and other upcoming events (9/3/2020) - Nevei Kodesh, a warm and welcoming Jewish Renewal Community invites you to join us virtually for prayer, study and connection! Continue Reading
- Join Har HaShem Virtually – September 4 – 11 (9/3/2020) - Here is a quick list of all virtual events sponsored by Congregation Har HaShem in the next week. Continue Reading
- Free Webinar: Jewish Messianic Heresy and the Right to Privacy with Professor Nan Goodman (9/2/2020) - We all know that American law protects our privacy within the home, but does it protect our emotions and personalities? Continue Reading
- Staenberg-Loup Jewish Community Center Annual Celebration Being Held Virtually on October 24, 2020 (9/1/2020) - JCC Denver announced the honorees for the 2020 JCC Virtual Annual Celebration being held on Saturday, October 24. Continue Reading
- First Friday on Thursday is Back at Bonai with Women of Resolution (8/30/2020) - “Women of Resolution: We Were Strangers” is a program that shares the stories of four women who sought sanctuary to avoid being deported and separated from their families - told by Bonai Shalom community members. Continue Reading
Adventure Judaism Weekly Virtual Events: