Shabbat shalom! Happy Father’s Day to all the fathers out there, too. Tonight marks the return of Adventure Judaism’s (Rabbi’s) Friday Night on Flagstaff summer services, as well as Bonai Shalom’s summer musical Kabbalat Shabbat series.
We’re also featuring three drash’s on Parshat Korach; some timely takes including one from Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks.
Enjoy this week’s posts:
- JCRC Celebrates Policy Successes During 2018 State Legislative Session (6/14/2018) - 1 Tamuz 5778 - The JCRC tracked 30 bills this legislative session that fit within the coalition’s priority areas. Find out more.
- MazelTogether Named One of America’s Top 50 Innovative Jewish Organizations (6/12/2018) - 29 Sivan 5778 - MazelTogether, a program of Rose Community Foundation, has been named one of North America’s top 50 innovative Jewish organizations in the thirteenth annual Slingshot Guide.
- Judaism Your Way Named One of America’s Top 50 Innovative Jewish Organizations (6/12/2018) - 29 Sivan 5778 - For the third time ever (second year in a row), Judaism Your Way made Slingshot's list!
- Opinion: Pass the Anti-Semitism Awareness Act (and Protect the First Amendment) (6/11/2018) - 28 Sivan 5778 - A bipartisan group of politicians in Washington just introduced the Anti-Semitism Awareness Act of 2018. All that the act does is direct that anti-Semitism, as it is manifested today, be treated comparably to racism or sexism.
- Musical Friday Nights Are Back at Bonai Shalom (6/14/2018) - 1 Tamuz 5778 - Our summer musical Fridays are back with some wonderful new melodies and musicians starting June 15.
- Children in Hell – Parshat Korach (6/14/2018) - 1 Tamuz 5778 - This week, everything goes to hell.
- Rabbi Marc’s A Dash of Drash – Episode 69: Truth or Power? (6/14/2018) - 1 Tamuz 5778 - In Parshat Korach (Numbers 16:1-18:32), the leadership of Moses and Aaron is challenged and the source of that challenge is Korach.
- The First Populist – Parshat Korach (6/14/2018) - 1 Tamuz 5778 - From Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks: The story of Korach has much to teach us about one of the most disturbing phenomena of our time: the rise of populism in contemporary politics.
- Daniel Isaac Benjamin and Kyle Rothstein B’nai Mitzvah (6/12/2018) - 29 Sivan 5778 - On Saturday, June 16th, 2018, Daniel Isaac Benjamin and Kyle Rothstein will be called to the Torah as B'nai Mitzvah at Congregation Har HaShem.
- Nathan Hoggard Bar Mitzvah (6/12/2018) - 29 Sivan 5778 - On Saturday, June 16th, 2018, Nathan Hoggard will be called to the Torah as a Bar Mitzvah at Congregation Bonai Shalom.
- Darby Kropp Bar Mitzvah (6/12/2018) - 29 Sivan 5778 - On Saturday, June 16th, 2018, Darby Kropp will be called to the Torah as a Bar Mitzvah with Adventure Judaism.
- Leah Frankel Bat Mitzvah (6/11/2018) - 28 Sivan 5778 - On Monday, June 11th, 2018, Leah Frankel will be called to the Torah as a Bat Mitzvah at Congregation Har HaShem.
- Baruch Dayan Ha’emet: Ellen Kurry, z”l (6/11/2018) - 28 Sivan 5778 - Ellen Kurry (Esther bat Leah v'Melech), mother of Drew Kurry, passed away on Friday, June 8, 2018 in Florida.
- JCC Denver to Host Pool Parties and Bluegrass Concert This Summer (6/11/2018) - 28 Sivan 5778 - The Staenberg-Loup Jewish Community Center in Denver is hosting a few community events this summer including pool parties that are free and open to the public and an outdoor barbecue and bluegrass concert.
Arts and Culture
- Before Seeing the Pulitzer Prize-Winning Play, Watch the Oscar-Winning Film (6/14/2018) - 1 Tamuz 5778 - Jewish musical theater team Moss and Hart defined the screwball comedy with "You Can't Take It with You," coming to the JCC and the Colorado Shakespeare Festival
- A Thrilling Colorado Music Festival Concert and a Delightful ACE Reception (6/14/2018) - 1 Tamuz 5778 - ACE's annual outing to the CMF on Sunday, July 8 includes a new pre-concert reception, and an optional preview class the week before.
- Everything You Need to Know About the Dead Sea Scrolls Before You Go (6/10/2018) - 27 Sivan 5778 - CU Professor Sam Boyd explains the significance of the scrolls on Wednesday, June 13 at 7:00 pm at the Boulder JCC.
- Colorado Hebrew Chorale Celebrates Leonard Bernstein at 100 (6/10/2018) - 27 Sivan 5778 - The Colorado Hebrew Chorale presents its annual Summer Sight-Singing Romp, where participants are the choir, on Monday, June 25, 2019.