Shabbat shalom! As we approach the yahrzheit of Rabbi Zalman Schachter-Shalomi, founder of Renewal Judaism and long-time Boulder resident, it is instructive that both Congregation Nevei Kodesh (Jewish Renewal) and the Boulder Center for Judaism (Chabad Lubavitch) are planning events next weekend in his honor and memory.
Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with our brothers and sisters under attack in Israel, Ukraine, and the women of this country.
Stay dry, stay safe and stay healthy!
Here are stories from the last week:
- Who Was Rabbi Zalman Schachter-Shalomi Really? Answers Depend on Who You Ask (6/15/2023) - To many people in and outside of Boulder, Rabbi Zalman Schachter-Shalomi z"l was an enigma. The revered and beloved founder of the Jewish Renewal movement (a movement dedicated to gender equality and other progressive approaches to Judaism) and a Hassid, trained by some of the most well-regarded teachers in Lubavitch (one of the most conservative… Continue Reading
- Column: Holocaust Jokester Sergeant in Canada ‘Suffers’ Light Sentence (6/15/2023) - Guess what an organization should do if a supervisor repeatedly humiliates and bullies a Jewish subordinate in the course of joking about Jews who were exterminated in Nazi death camps. Not in the Canadian army. Continue Reading
- The Learning Source Is Looking for Volunteer Tutors To Help Adult Students In the Boulder Area (6/11/2023) - The Learning Source – Colorado’s leading nonprofit resource for adult education classes and family literacy – is currently looking for volunteers in the Denver metropolitan area. Continue Reading
- Summer Enrollment Is Now Open at The Learning Source (6/11/2023) - Summer enrollment is now open at The Learning Source – a Colorado nonprofit that connects adult students with the resources they need to better their lives and take charge of their futures. The Learning Source offers FREE classes to help adults earn their high school equivalency credential, learn English and get a better job. Continue Reading
- Letter: Biden’s Feckless Strategy to Fight Antisemitism (6/11/2023) - Notwithstanding the praise that some Jewish organizations have heaped on the Biden White House's recent plan to fight antisemitism ("U.S. National Strategy to Counter Antisemitism"), the facts -- for at least two reasons -- demonstrate that this plan is toothless. Continue Reading
- Milo VanMatre Bar Mitzvah (6/15/2023) - On Saturday, June 17th, 2023, Milo VanMatre will be called to the Torah as a Bar Mitzvah with Adventure Judaism. Continue Reading
- Natalie Zolot B Mitzvah (6/15/2023) - On Saturday, June 17th, 2023, Natalie Zolot, will be called to the Torah as a B Mitzvah with Adventure Judaism. Continue Reading
- My Bat Mitzvah Class Took Me Hiking, Taught Me to Cook, and How to Change a Tire (6/13/2023) - Registration for the 2023-2024 class is now open. There are 4 open spots for the cohort beginning in August. Continue Reading
- D’var Shana by Emerson Shear (6/13/2023) - Students in the Adventure B'nai Mitzvah Class participate in 15 expeditions during their school year. At the end of the year, the write a D'var Shana (thoughts about the year) sharing a little about their experience and what they learned. Continue Reading
- Leora Ross Cultural B Mitzvah (6/13/2023) - On May 21st, 2023, Leora Ross, together with the Beth Ami community and her family and friends, celebrated her Cultural B Mitzvah at Staunton State Park in Pine, CO. Continue Reading
- Baruch Dayan HaEmet – Dr. Robert Hazelrigg z”l (6/11/2023) - Dr. Robert Hazelrigg, father of Sara Megibow, passed away peacefully on Saturday morning June 10th in Schaumburg, Illinois. Continue Reading
- Hannah Thies Bat Mitzvah (6/11/2023) - On Saturday, June 17th, 2023, Hannah Thies will be called to the Torah as Bat Mitzvah at Congregation Har HaShem. Continue Reading
Arts and Culture
- Torah Study I (6/15/2023) - A poem by Todd Greenberg. Continue Reading
- My Little Bird (6/15/2023) - A new poem from Lisa Tremback. Continue Reading
- Nevei Kodesh Musical Kabbalat Shabbat Service in Memory of Reb Zalman z”l (6/15/2023) - Join Congregation Nevei Kodesh (1925 Glenwood Drive, Boulder, CO 80304) on Friday, June 23 at 7 pm for a Kabbalat Shabbat Service with Rabbi Diane Tiferet Lakein, Ari Sharfstein, and Sheldon Sands and celebration of the life and memory of our beloved Rebbe, Reb Zalman Shachter-Shalomi z''l, on his Yahrzeit. Continue Reading
- Bike to Work Day at the Boulder JCC on Wednesday, June 28 (6/13/2023) - The Boulder JCC is proud to be participating again this year and encourages everyone coming to the Boulder JCC for camp, work, pickleball, or the many other activities taking place to ride your bike on Wednesday, June 28 -- and every day! Continue Reading
- Farm Tour Opportunities at the Boulder JCC this Summer (6/11/2023) - On Thursdays, June 22, July 27, and August 31 come to tour the Milk and Honey Farm at the Boulder JCC. Continue Reading