Shabbat shalom! Hard to believe we are already at August, and Elul is only one week away.
Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with our brothers and sisters under attack in Israel, Ukraine, and the women of this country.
Stay cool, stay safe and stay healthy!
Here are stories from the last week:
- Israeli and Arab Scientists Work Together to Solve Regional Water Challenges (8/10/2023) - 16 streams in Israel are shared between Israel and the Palestinian Authority; roughly two-thirds of the streams originate in the West Bank, crossing Israel and emptying into the Mediterranean Sea. However, due to various factors, the waterways continue to suffer from excessive pollution and contamination. Continue Reading
- Get to Know Boulder JCC Instructors (8/10/2023) - With amazing instructors and classes spanning sports, dance, art, farm, and STEM, the Boulder JCC is committed to fostering inclusivity and learning for individuals of all backgrounds, faiths, and families. Welcome to a series introducing them to the community. Continue Reading
- Column: Tripwires in the Tree of Life Synagogue Trial…Or Will That Be Multiple Trials? (8/10/2023) - The sentencing of Tree of Life synagogue killer Robert Bowers raises disturbing questions about antisemitism’s link to mental illness, the deterrence value of the death penalty and the value of hate-crime laws. Continue Reading
- Pickleball Pro Helps You Get in the Game (8/8/2023) - Pickleball launched at the Boulder JCC with three indoor courts last July, since then over 600 people have learned to play, improved their skills, and enjoyed some friendly competition in the Boulder area. Last fall the Boulder JCC introduced lessons and clinics with a Pickleball Professional, Kathy Mihelic. Continue Reading
- Letter: What Will Happen to the Refuge That Is Israel? (8/8/2023) - I share Bruce Ticker’s concern about the future of Israel as the home of the Jewish people – the place where no Jew who needed to go there would ever be turned away. Continue Reading
- Benji Weinberger Bet Mitzvah (8/8/2023) - On Saturday, August 12th, 2023, Benji Weinberger will be called to the Torah as Bet Mitzvah at Congregation Har HaShem. Continue Reading
Arts and Culture
- Her Shining White Light (8/10/2023) - A new poem from Lisa Tremback Continue Reading
- Morning Moon (8/8/2023) - A new poem from Todd Greenberg. Continue Reading
- Join Us for Celebrate SIPP 2023, Sunday, August 20! (8/10/2023) - Professor Arie Kacowicz will briefly address the current political upheaval in Israel and what it means for the future of the Israeli-Palestinian relations, and there will be a short presentation on SIPPs' work. Continue Reading
- Boulder Area CFCU Congregations Are Back at the County Fair! (8/8/2023) - Boulder area CFCU (Colorado Faith Communities United to End Gun Violence) congregations, including Bonai Shalom and Har HaShem, will be hosting our annual booth at the Boulder County Fair. Continue Reading
- Read Any Good Books Lately? It’s Time for Another Beth Ami Readers’ Circle! (8/8/2023) - This is a very unusual book club, because we don’t require that everyone read the same book – or that you read any book at all! We discuss books with a Jewish and/or Humanistic theme – and that includes a lot of books. Continue Reading