Shabbat shalom! Another busy posting week, with the High Holidays fast approaching. Check our High Holidays page for all the latest posts.
September also marks Boulder Jewish News’ 10th Anniversary, and we are planning several special stories and pages to celebrate! This week, our Israel correspondent, Shaul Amir, posts New Years greetings, and our pop culture correspondent, Lauren Fellows, posts a story about the Jewish arc of a Japanese video game character, Sandalphon. You are, in fact, reading our 6,576th post since starting out in the fall of 2009. Enjoy!
Finally, the Boulder Jewish Men’s Group is hosting a co-ed dinner with speaker Jeremy Shaver of the ADL this Thursday night September 26th. It should be interesting and timely – RSVP today.
Stay cool, and have a great weekend. Here are this week’s posts:
- Elsa Asher’s Ancestral Healing Workshop Postponed (9/19/2019) - Elsa Asher's Ancestral Healing Workshop originally scheduled for September 21st at Nevei Kodesh, has been postponed until November. Watch out for further details. Continue Reading
- Happy 10th New Year from Israel (9/15/2019) - This piece is the first in a series from our many contributors over the last 10 years of service to the Boulder Jewish Community, commemorating our 10th Anniversary this fall. Dear Cheryl and David, and the Boulder Jewish Community: Shaul Amir Congratulations on the Tenth Anniversary of the Boulder Jewish News! How time flies.... It is… Continue Reading
- Women: Pray with Passion and Prepare for Rosh Hashonah (9/19/2019) - Join a group of Jewish women this Saturday, September 21 at 10:30 am and discuss some of the traditions of Rosh Hashonah and find more meaning in the prayers that are said. Continue Reading
- High Holidays at CU Boulder Hillel (9/19/2019) - CU Boulder Hillel will be hosting a variety of services and events for the High Holidays this year. During Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur, Ross Z. Levy will be leading us in engaging, spiritually awakening, and musical services. Continue Reading
- AEPi, Synagogue Connect Help College Students Find Free High Holidays Choices (9/19/2019) - Synagogue Connect founders Rabbi Ronald Brown and Rabbi Charles Klein have already gotten over 1,100 congregations from all denominations (Reform, Reconstructionist, Conservative and Orthodox, as well as Humanist) and throughout the world to offer free seats to college students. Continue Reading
- Join Us for a Rosh Hashonah Dinner (9/15/2019) - Bring a friend and join Boulder Center for Judaism for an inspiring and meaningful evening. Continue Reading
- Why Are So Many Christmas Songs Written By Jews? (9/15/2019) - Neige Bein wrote the following essay as part of her training with Adventure Judaism's Bat Yisrael* program, an alternative to Bat Mitzvah. Continue Reading
- Izze Barsch Bat Mitzvah (9/15/2019) - On Saturday, September 21st, 2019, Izze Barsch will be called to the Torah as a Bat Mitzvah with Adventure Judaism. Continue Reading
- Women Welcome at Boulder Jewish Men’s Group Dinner for ADL Speaker (9/19/2019) - Jeremy Shaver, ADL Senior Associate Regional Director, will speak to the Boulder Jewish Men's Group at a special dinner meeting on Thursday night, September 26th. Continue Reading
- Blackbelly and Milk and Honey Farm Partner for Farm Dinner (9/16/2019) - Glimpses of fall are beginning to show themselves with the weather cooling, evening showers, and turning leaves. At Milk and Honey Farm, Farmers Becca Gan Levy and Molly Sease are continuing to grow and harvest a range of incredible produce including squash, cucumbers, tomatoes, kale, and zucchini. The Farm is now averaging around 100 pounds… Continue Reading
- This Week for CU’s Jewish Buffs – 9/16 (9/16/2019) - Here are this week's activities for CU Boulder's Jewish student community. Continue Reading
- Learn How to Travel with Purpose at ACE’s Lunch and Learn (9/15/2019) - Hooked on the excitement of travel and committed to creating positive change in the world, Blumenfeld comes to the Boulder JCC for a Lunch and Learn at noon on Thursday, September 26. Continue Reading
Arts and Culture
- The 2020 Boulder Jewish Film Festival Opens with the Premiere of “Dave Grusin: Not Enough Time” (9/19/2019) - The Boulder Jewish Film Festival announces opening and closing nights, the Centerpiece tribute to Dani Menkin, and its 2020 honorees: Grace and Gordon Gamm. Continue Reading
- Sandalphon’s Journey of Teshuvah: Jewish Values in Granblue Fantasy (9/16/2019) - As a Jewish fan of Japanese animation and games, I only rarely get to see my own culture and traditions reflected in the media I enjoy; nor do I ever expect it. This story is well-timed for the month of Elul. Continue Reading