Shabbat shalom! And welcome to some new subscribers we met at Wednesday night’s Shalom Boulder event at the Boulder JCC! It was fun meeting newcomers to the Boulder Jewish community and hearing their stories (and sharing ours).
If you missed it, keep your eyes out for the next one — there is always something new to learn about our community no matter how long you’ve been here! If you are a subscriber to our daily or weekly editions (or both), we thank you and feel free to forward to a friend!
Also noteworthy this week are the changes in leadership announced this week at CU’s Jewish Studies Program. BJN congratulates Professor Elias Sacks and Professor Beverly Weber, and thanks Professor Nan Goodman and Meghan Perea for their service to the program over the last several years.
Stay cool during this heat wave, and have a great weekend. Here are this week’s posts:
- Boulder Goes to Israel in 2020 (7/18/2019) - The Boulder JCC, Congregation Bonai Shalom, Congregation Har HaShem, and Adventure Judaism have partnered to organize Boulder’s community-wide trip to Israel. Continue Reading
- Don’t Let Disaster Philanthropy Become A Philanthropic Disaster (7/18/2019) - Since disaster-related philanthropy is often an emotional response to a terrifying event, it is rarely strategic and, as a result, often not effective. Mistakes are common. Here are some ways to make sure that your generous response does the most good. Continue Reading
- ADL Condemns Anti-Semitic Vandalism, Swastikas At Bailey Church, Real Estate Office (7/16/2019) - The Anti-Defamation League Mountain States Region, responding to reports of anti-Semitic vandalism and swastikas at a Bailey church and real estate office, condemned the incidents and commended law enforcement for investigating the incidents as possible hate crimes. Continue Reading
- Program in Jewish Studies at CU Announces Leadership Changes (7/16/2019) - Professor Elias Sacks has been appointed the new Director of the Program in Jewish Studies, effective January 1, 2020. Continue Reading
- Letter: “Jewish Guide to US Politics” (7/14/2019) - Sara-Jane Cohen responds to the American Jewish Congress about their "Jewish Guide to US Politics". Continue Reading
- Bonai Shalom Holding Musical Kabbalat Shabbat Friday (7/18/2019) - Please join us tonight, July 19, in prayer and song to bring in Shabbat. All are welcome! Continue Reading
- “You Shall Teach Them Digitally to Your Children.” – (Deut. 6:7 Adapted) (7/16/2019) - “We have to change our lifestyle,” said the busy San Francisco mom on a phone call to Adventure Rabbi Jamie Korngold. "I heard you help families like mine. Help!” Continue Reading
- Kayla Sherwinter Bat Mitzvah (7/14/2019) - On Saturday, July 20th, 2019, Kayla Sherwinter will be called to the Torah as a Bat Mitzvah at Congregation Bonai Shalom. Continue Reading
- D’var Shana by Eliza Serlen (7/14/2019) - As part of their Bat Mitzvah or Bar Mitzvah ceremony, graduates of Adventure Judaism's Adventure B'nai Mitzvah class are asked to write a Dvar Shana, thoughts about the year. Eliza Serlen became a Bat Mitzvah on June 15, 2019 and this is her D'var Shana. Continue Reading
- Baruch Dayan HaEmet – Brianna Freidman z”l (7/14/2019) - Brianna Freidman, daughter of David Freidman and Rabbi Tirzah Firestone, passed away on July 10, 2019. Continue Reading