Happy Winter Solstice and Shabbat shalom! In case you’re wondering, the Solstice occurs at 3:23 pm here in Boulder/Denver, and shabbat comes in not quite an hour later at 4:21 pm. Here are some Jewish Winter Solstice stories you might enjoy.
If you haven’t figured out what to do on Monday night yet, Klezmana Returns to the Boulder JCC; Klezmer music with a Gypsy twist, plus Chinese Food! Register early. And Chabad of NW Metro Denver is hosting Bowling and Chinese for December 25th, so you can be hang with your tribe all holiday long this year!
Meanwhile, stay warm, and here are this week’s posts:
- Boulder JFS Seeking Clients for Friendly Visitors (12/20/2018) - 12 Tevet 5779 - In a twist, Boulder JFS, who is usually looking for volunteers to visit seniors, is now calling for seniors who would like a regular visitor. Are you one? Do you know someone? Continue Reading
- On Philanthropy: UN Sustainable Development Goals Falling Short (12/19/2018) - 11 Tevet 5779 - The U.S. ranks last among the G20 nations in achieving the SDGs, and 36th among all the countries in the world. Continue Reading
- Chabad @ CU Spreads a Lot of Chanukah Light (12/17/2018) - 9 Tevet 5779 - Rohr Chabad Center at CU took advantage of an early start to Chanukah this year to roll out eight nights full of light. Also, their 36-hour Match-a-Thon fundraiser starts Tuesday 12/18 at 11:00 am! Continue Reading
- JEWISHcolorado Shares the Light This Christmas (12/16/2018) - 8 Tevet 5779 - Over 400 volunteers in the Jewish community will participate in the Christmas Mitzvah Project and relieve employees at local charitable organizations, healthcare facilities and various senior living facilities so that employees may spend Christmas Day with their loved ones. Continue Reading
- Rabbi Marc’s A Dash of Drash – Episode 84: Life in Death – Vayechi (12/20/2018) - 12 Tevet 5779 - Vayechi (Genesis 47:28 - 50:26) means "and he lived" and is the last parsha of the first book of Torah. Continue Reading
- Rafi McPhee Bar Mitzvah (12/20/2018) - 12 Tevet 5779 - On Saturday, December 22nd, 2018, Rafi McPhee will be called to the Torah as a Bar Mitzvah at Congregation Bonai Shalom. Continue Reading
- Living By The Good Book (12/17/2018) - 9 Tevet 5779 - "But how can you call a family ‘upright’ if they fight so much?" As we come to the end of the book of Genesis, we are struck by the friction within the first Jewish families. Continue Reading
- Baruch Dayan HaEmet – Barbara Moliver Hubar z”l (12/16/2018) - 8 Tevet 5779 - Barbara Moliver Hubar z"l, Sara Sturtz's mother, passed away early Thursday morning, December 13, 2018 at age 95. Continue Reading
- Baruch Dayan HaEmet – Frederick Levine z”l (12/16/2018) - 8 Tevet 5779 - Frederick Levine, Ephraim ben Peretz Yisrael, z"l, father of Bob Levine, passed away this past Monday, December 10, 2018. Continue Reading
- Bowling and Chinese on Dec 25, a New Tradition? (12/19/2018) - 11 Tevet 5779 - While the tradition of eating Chinese on December 25 is well documented, what is perhaps less know is the tradition of bowling while eating Chinese food. Continue Reading
Arts and Culture
- Klezmer Rose From The Ashes Of The Holocaust To Symbolize Jewish Resilience (12/19/2018) - 11 Tevet 5779 - Learn about the overlapping musical traditions of the Jewish and Roma people before enjoying Klezmania on Christmas Eve at the Boulder JCC. Continue Reading
- Buddhist Jew’s Spiritual Journey into the Holocaust (12/16/2018) - 8 Tevet 5779 - Early on in Ellen Korman Mains’s compelling account of her spiritual journey as the child of survivors to make sense of the Holocaust, she observes the irony that one schooled by Buddhism to live in the present could make it her life’s work to grapple with demons of the past. Author talk at Boulder Book… Continue Reading