Shavuot sameach and shabbat shalom! Shavuot starts tonight, and there are several virtual learning opportunities coming up, like the first-time Humanistic Shavout event on Thursday, May 28. Other Shavuot-related posts/events are on our Shavuot page, and Haver discusses their virtual offerings for this year of Covid-19. Because of Shavuot, this weekly edition is coming out a day early, and there won’t be a BJN on Friday, May 29. See you in June!
As a people and as a community, we continue showing our resilience and ingenuity. You can find many online shabbat resources, both local and far afield, for streaming services or guides to davening alone.
You can find all of our local community virtual services at the “Jewish Community Virtual Offerings” link below under “Events”. There is also a link to the list of online programs being offered by the Boulder JCC.
If you have something to entertain or engage people that you’d like to get out there, let us know!
Meanwhile, here are sources that will have the most up-to-date information about COVID-19 in Boulder and Colorado:
- Boulder JCC for the Jewish community
- City of Boulder
- Boulder County
- Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment
- Centers for Disease Control
Stay safe, stay healthy, and have a great weekend.
- Boulder JCC Summer Camp Applications Open Now – Limited Spots Still Available (5/27/2020) - The Boulder JCC announced last week that the Jay and Rose Phillips Early Childhood Center Summer Camp and Cherryvale Day Camp will open this summer. Continue Reading
- Jews of Color Initiative Opens COVID-19 Emergency Relief Fund (5/27/2020) - The Jews of Color Initiative COVID-19 Emergency Relief Fund for Individuals offers an efficient, inclusive application process to support people experiencing financial hardships at this time. Continue Reading
- Boulder JCC to Begin Phase I Re-Opening (5/25/2020) - On Wednesday, May 13 our Board voted to begin Phase 1 of our reopening plan. All aspects of our reopening are dependent and based on local and state guidelines in partnership with the Boulder County Health Department and State Licensing. Continue Reading
- JCC Denver Planning Socially Distanced Summer Camps (5/25/2020) - The Staenberg-Loup Jewish Community Center is offering several camps that fit within city and state COVID-19 guidelines* through the Mizel Arts and Culture Center’s Wolf Theatre Academy and the JCC’s Camp Shai. Continue Reading
- Innovation as Silver Lining During Covid-19: Shavuot from Haver (5/27/2020) - In the midst of Stay-at-Home orders issued by state and local governments, Boulder’s rabbinic council, Haver, had to innovate ways to celebrate Shavuot, the holiday commemorating receiving the Torah from Mount Sinai. Continue Reading
- Shavuot Videos for Kids (5/26/2020) - Ori Korngold teaches children to make an easy no-bake cheesecake, create a Shavuot craft, and hike up "Mt. Sinai. " Sadie Korngold reads the Shavuot favorite story, "Sadie and the Big Mountain." Continue Reading
- Modeh Ani: Our Prayer of Survival (5/25/2020) - In this time of the Covid-19 virus, I see the Modeh Ani prayer as our most important and critical prayer. Continue Reading
- Tonight: Jewish Voices: Shanghai During WWII (5/26/2020) - Join CBS member Shoshannah Turgel for a presentation focusing on the history of Jews in China, with specific insight on the city of Shanghai during WWII. Continue Reading
- Obama Speech Writer Sarah Hurwitz to Interview Rabbi Jamie Korngold Live (5/26/2020) - Tune in Wednesday May 27, 2020 at 6:00 pm MT and enjoy a lively conversation between Rabbi Korngold and Sarah Hurwitz on the weekly broadcast, "What's Up with God?" Continue Reading
- Boulder Hadassah Hosts A Zoom Discussion on THE GUT-BRAIN AXIS (5/26/2020) - The gut-brain axis refers to the physical and chemical connections between your gut and brain. Lisa Shanken will present via Zoom on June 5th. Continue Reading
Adventure Judaism Weekly Virtual Events:
Arts and Culture
- Some of the Best Jewish Films Happen to Be Documentaries (5/25/2020) - Kathryn Bernheimer recommends dozens of documentaries of interest to Jewish audiences to watch at home. Continue Reading