Jewish Volunteers Provide Relief to Non-Jewish Employees/Volunteers at a Range of Local Healthcare and Non-profit Facilities, Enabling Them to Spend Christmas with Their Loved Ones
The Christmas Mitzvah Project unites the Jewish community during the holiday season as hundreds of Jewish volunteers lend a hand on Christmas Day, relieving hundreds of employees at local charitable organizations and various senior living facilities so that they may spend Christmas with their loved ones.
For 22 years, the Christmas Mitzvah Project has been coordinating and providing volunteers to support various charitable organizations during the busy holiday season. This year, JEWISHcolorado is teaming up with 12 sites throughout the metro-Denver area. More than 300 volunteers will relieve employees at these sites, allowing them to spend Christmas with loved ones. For more information, visit http://www.jewishcolorado.org/ christmasmitzvahproject.
Denver-area Christmas Mitzvah sites include:
- Denver Health’s Newborns in Need – Assembling goodies for families with newborns.
- Christian Living Communities at Someran Glen -Visit with patients; facilitate activities (games, stories, arts and crafts, etc.)
- Denver Hospice Inpatient Care Center – Serve meals
- Ronald McDonald House Charities of Denver – Assisting with taking down Xmas decorations
- Shalom Park – Visit with patients and facilitate activities
- Sunrise Senior Living, Broomfield- Helping in dining areas
- Children’s Hospital Colorado – One of the most popular sites. First to fill up. Work at gift shop, facilitate activities and serve meals
- Littleton Adventist Hospital – Answer phones and serve meals
- The Delores Project – Provide and serve breakfast for 60-65 guests
- Denver Jewish Day School (JCO Family Volunteer Site) – Fun activities for young children and families to do that will impact the community. There will be stations set up around the gym. Some stations will be:
- Create “I Care I Share Bags” that include toiletries and pre-packaged snacks to be donated
- Make “No sew-fleece scarves” to be donated
- Decorate holiday cookies and craft holiday cards to be delivered to local firefighters
- Make sandwiches
- Gateway Women’s Shelter (location confidential) – Provide Christmas dinner for residents
- Zuma’s Rescue Ranch – Help with the feeding and care of the rescue horses at the ranch in Littleton
- VA Eastern Colorado – Visit with patients