Shabbat shalom! A worrying new report from the ADL came out yesterday on antisemitic attitudes in the US — the survey shows a dramatic deterioration since 2019. And it seems to harken back a century to the 1920’s in America (and elsewhere).
On those cheery notes, our thoughts and prayers continue to be with our brothers and sisters under attack in Israel, Ukraine, and the women of this country.
Stay warm, stay safe and stay healthy, and our best wishes for 2023!
Here are stories from the last week:
- ADL Releases Worrying New Study on Antisemitic Attitudes in US (1/12/2023) - ADL’s Antisemitic Attitudes in America survey found that 20 percent of Americans believe six or more anti-Jewish tropes, nearly doubling the antisemitic prejudice found in 2019 and the highest level in three decades. Continue Reading
- A Harvard President’s Pogrom Warning (1/12/2023) - If American Jews “decide to remain apart,” antisemitism will rise to the point that “blood will be spilled,” one of America’s most prominent educators reportedly warned, one hundred years ago. Continue Reading
- Column: Ben-Gvir’s Presumed ‘Act of War’ (1/12/2023) - It was the devil…er, Itamar Ben-Gvir…who made me do it. Continue Reading
- A Courageous Message from Barbara Gould’s Family (1/8/2023) - Barbara Gould and her family are courageously sharing that Barbara needs a liver transplant. They are seeking out the love of others who would spread the word and consider becoming a living donor. Continue Reading
- Letter: Sorry, Whoopi: The Holocaust Was All About Race (1/8/2023) - On two recent occasions, Whoopi Goldberg, a celebrity with a very high profile platform called "The View," has promulgated the ahistorical fantasy that the Holocaust of six million Jews had absolutely nothing to do with race. Continue Reading
- Baruch Dayan HaEmet – Ari Pollachek z”l (1/10/2023) - Ari Pollachek, the adored 15-year-old son of Paula and Amit Pollachek, has passed away suddenly. Continue Reading
- Baruch Dayan HaEmet – Sara and Seymour Rabin z”l (1/8/2023) - Sara and Seymour Rabin, parents of Bonnie Rabin, died peacefully in Beit Shemesh, Israel on Thursday, January 5th, 2023 and Saturday, January 7th, 2023 of Covid-related illnesses. Continue Reading
Arts and Culture
- The Denver Children’s Theatre Returns to the JCC Mizel Arts and Culture Center (1/12/2023) - The JCC Mizel Arts and Culture Center has reopened the Denver Children’s Theatre with a presentation of The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, a book written by Kate DiCamillo. Continue Reading
- Round 247… (1/8/2023) - A poem by Lisa Tremback Continue Reading
- Navigating Israel and Antisemitism in Our Community (1/10/2023) - Over the past several years, the debate over Israel and Palestine has been intense. With the announcement that the new government in Israel is going to include members with very extreme views, navigating issues of antisemitism is going to be even more challenging. Community members are invited to participate in a workshop on Thursday, January… Continue Reading
- Colorado Jewish Climate Summit Comes to Denver (1/10/2023) - We had a chance to catch up with Moshe Kornfeld, the Founder and Director of Colorado Jewish Climate Action, who is excited to talk about the upcoming Colorado Jewish Climate Summit on February 5, 2023. Continue Reading
- CBS First Friday: Refugees and Citizenship in Israel (1/9/2023) - Professor Ben Herzog, CU Boulder's 2022-2023 Israel Institute Visiting Faculty, will speak about Refugees and Citizenship in Israel this Friday, January 13. Continue Reading
- JFS Focuses on Connection and Belonging for JDAIM and 2023 (1/9/2023) - JFS Jewish Disabilities Advocates (JDA) and its partner organizations will focus on connection and belonging throughout 2023. A kick-off event on February 1 will feature Rabbi Lauren Tuchman and Rabbi Julia Appel. Continue Reading
- The German Resistance to Hitler and the Holocaust (1/9/2023) - This year's International Holocaust Remembrance Day speaker is Alan E. Steinweis. Professor Steinweis will examine whether moral outrage over the Holocaust was a motive behind two assassination attempts against Hitler. Continue Reading