Shabbat shalom! It is a pretty busy next few days in the Boulder Jewish Community. Tonight is Adventure Rabbi’s final Shabbat Service on Flagstaff Mountain for 2023. Congregation Har HaShem is hosting an Open Tent Shabbat this weekend, August 25-26. Boulder JCC is holding a Family Shabbat in the Park tonight as well. Congregation Beth Ami is holding their “Good Movie Club” discussion on Saturday afternoon. Monday is busy too: Boulder JCC launches The EXCHANGE at lunch, and then holds their Fall Festival starting at 5:00 pm. And in Denver, the Colorado Hebrew Chorale is holding open rehearsals Monday night, looking for new talent. Be sure to check out the Community Calendar to find out what’s happening (and you can subscribe to one or more of the calendars we cover).
Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with our brothers and sisters under attack in Israel, Ukraine, and the women of this country.
Stay cool, stay safe and stay healthy!
Here are stories from the last week:
- New Boulder Group Addresses Needs of Silver Singles (8/24/2023) - Meeting people of any age is challenging. Since the isolation from the COVID lockdown, the circumstances made it even more difficult for folks who live alone. From that, the Chai Life Group was created. The Chai Life Group is a collaboration of the Boulder JCC, Boulder JFS, Congregation Har HaShem, Congregation Bonai Shalom, and Congregation… Continue Reading
- Column: The Potential Fall of Rep. Summer Lee, the Squad Member from Pittsburgh (8/24/2023) - After seven months on the job, U.S. Rep. Summer Lee set herself up for the winter of Summer, to borrow from “The summer of George” title of a Seinfeld segment. Earlier this month, she traded barbs with the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, which criticized her decision to boycott Israeli President Isaac Herzog’s address before… Continue Reading
- Letter: The Antisemitic “Academic Freedom” at Princeton (8/24/2023) - Recently Princeton Assistant Professor Satyel Larson's included as required reading Jasbir Puar's book "The Right to Maim: Debility, Capacity, Disability." MAIM is the operative word. Puar's premise is that every shot fired by every IDF soldier since May 1948 is solely aimed to maim Arabs and Palestinians notwithstanding that 28,400 Jews have have been murdered by the… Continue Reading
- JFS Announces New Jewish Grief Support Group (8/22/2023) - JFS is happy to announce Danielle Rifkin, LPC, ATR as our new facilitator. The Jewish Grief Group is for anyone that identifies with a Jewish identity and is grieving. Continue Reading
- Boulder JCC Staff Spotlight from the Milk and Honey Farm (8/22/2023) - We caught up with Farmer Becca, Farm and Sustainability Director, to ask a couple of questions about the farm and herself. If you are interested in touring the farm, attend the Farm Tour on Thursday, August 31! Continue Reading
- Boulder JCC Announces New Lifelong Learning Program This Fall, EXCHANGE (8/22/2023) - Imagine going back to school to attend only the classes that tickle your fancy? No tests, no grades, and in most cases, optional homework? To launch EXCHANGE, the Boulder JCC is hosting an Open House on Monday, August 28. Continue Reading
- Colorado Jewish Climate Action Launching New Programs in Fall 2023 (8/22/2023) - Colorado Jewish Climate Action is launching a series of new programs this fall to engage the Jewish community in bold climate action. The three new programs are the Colorado Jewish Climate Corps, Greening Jewish Institutions, and Climate Mitzvah Projects. Continue Reading
- Letter: Israeli and Arab Scientists Working Together — Welcome News (8/22/2023) - It’s obvious that both Israelis and Palestinians need to be concerned about the condition of water that flows across the boundaries people have established. Yet reports from Israel and from Palestinian-administered areas have differed considerably. Continue Reading
- Back to School with Bonai (8/22/2023) - For families interested in learning more about our Religious School program, please join us this Friday, August 25th at 5:30pm for our Family Kabbalat Shabbat! Continue Reading
- Tess Rubin Bat Mitzvah (8/22/2023) - On Saturday, August 26th, 2023, Tess Rubin will be called to the Torah as a Bat Mitzvah with Adventure Judaism. Continue Reading
- Ezra Hicks Bar Mitzvah (8/22/2023) - On Saturday, August 26th, 2023 Ezra Hicks will be called to the Torah as Bar Mitzvah at Congregation Nevei Kodesh. Continue Reading
- Julia Funk and Bryce Dorian B’nei Mitzvah (8/22/2023) - On Saturday, August 26th, 2023 Julia Funk and Bryce Dorian will be called to the Torah as B'nei Mitzvah at Congregation Har HaShem. Continue Reading
Arts and Culture
- Colorado Hebrew Chorale Holding Open Rehearsals (8/24/2023) - Colorado Hebrew Chorale will be holding open rehearsals this coming Monday, August 28 and Kol Nashim, the treble choir of Colorado Hebrew Chorale, is holding an open rehearsal on Thursday, August 31 Continue Reading
- Food Trucks and “Fiddler on the Roof” at the Boulder JCC Fall Festival (8/24/2023) - Celebrate back to school and the approaching fall season at the Boulder JCC Fall Festival on Monday, August 28 where the entire community is invited to join in on the fun. Continue Reading
- Boulder Valley Health Center Announces the Return of Condom Couture (8/24/2023) - Boulder Valley Health Center announced their annual event, Condom Couture, marking the organization’s 50th anniversary and will take place on Saturday, September 23, 2023 at the Boulder Jewish Community Center. Continue Reading