Shabbat shalom and it’s Rosh Chodesh Elul! Just a month to the High Holidays and 5784. If you or someone you know is new to the Boulder area, then make sure you and they make it over to the Boulder JCC next Wednesday (August 23) for the next Shalom Boulder Welcoming event. Also along those lines, Congregation Har HaShem is hosting an Open Tent Shabbat August 25-26.
Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with our brothers and sisters under attack in Israel, Ukraine, and the women of this country.
Stay cool, stay safe and stay healthy!
Here are stories from the last week:
- Column: Jews in (Rudy Giuliani’s) Space (8/17/2023) - “This is an affront to American democracy and does permanent, irrevocable harm to our justice system,” says America’s Mayor. Rudy Giuliani was not referring to charges that he conspired to overturn Georgia’s 2020 presidential election results. Continue Reading
- The Story of Elul (8/17/2023) - For Rosh Chodesh Elul, here's a new poem from Todd Greenberg. Continue Reading
- Open Tent Shabbat at Har HaShem (8/15/2023) - Experience Shabbat in a multitude of ways at Har HaShem on August 25-26 - learning, praying, singing, being outdoors, and socializing with friends old and new. Continue Reading
- Acorns (8/15/2023) - A poem by Todd Greenberg Continue Reading
- Levi Burdette and Mateo Bachman B’nei Mitzvah (8/15/2023) - On Saturday, August 19th, 2023 Orli Levi Burdette and Mateo Bachman will be called to the Torah as B'nei Mitzvah at Congregation Har HaShem. Continue Reading
Arts and Culture
- Exploration Through the Lens: Upcoming Photographic Gallery Opening at the Boulder JCC (8/17/2023) - In a convergence of creativity, the Boulder JCC is eagerly anticipating the upcoming gallery exhibition at the Messinger Gallery, which will showcase a remarkable collection of photographic works by three talented local artists sharing the same first name—Bruce Borowsky, Bruce Henderson, and Bruce Shaffer. Continue Reading
- Turning, Becoming, Affirming: A Queer Entry into the Jewish New Year (8/17/2023) - The Jewish month of Elul is a time of reflection leading up to the High Holy Days. Join us Monday, August 28 for a bit of introspection as we seek to tap into our authentic selves and learn from the experiences of others. Our guest will be Jhos Singer, a professional Jewish educator, community and… Continue Reading
- Embracing Wisdom and Wellness – Two New Classes at the Boulder JCC (8/17/2023) - In a world where personal growth and well-being take center stage, two innovative classes start in September at the Boulder JCC: "Wise Aging: Living with Joy, Resilience, and Spirit" and "Whole Brain Living: Tools for Brain Health." Continue Reading
- Boulder JCC Hosts Shalom Boulder, a New(ish) to Boulder Welcoming Event (8/15/2023) - Meet your neighbors and learn more about the thriving local Jewish community at this free gathering at the Boulder JCC on Wednesday, August 23. Continue Reading
- “Crip Camp: A Disability Revolution” – Unveiling the Inspirational Journey from Summer Camp to Historic Activism (8/15/2023) - Join us at the Boulder JCC on September 10 for an unforgettable cinematic experience as we kick off the ReelAbilities Film Festival with the screening of "Crip Camp: A Disability Revolution." Continue Reading