Shabbat shalom! In a show of the terrible things that can happen in just a week, something like 150,000 acres have burned in three fires that started just since our last Week in Review went out (Cal-Wood, Lefthand Canyon, and East Troublesome, in order of appearance). Our thoughts and prayers this shabbat are truly with the firefighters, those evacuated, those whose houses have been destroyed and their lives upended here, around the state and around the west. Please keep them in mind as you go about your business this weekend, and let’s hope that the winter weather heading in on Sunday does much to help get the fires under control or even put out.
Please be sure to follow all the recommendations/ requirements of Boulder County Public Health, including wearing masks in public. Governor Polis has now issued an order requiring masks in all public indoor spaces. The City of Boulder has seen a spike in cases recently; please be vigilant in protecting your families and yourself.
You can find all of our local community virtual services at the “Jewish Community Virtual Offerings” link below under “Events”. There is also a link to the list of online programs being offered by the Boulder JCC.
Meanwhile, here are sources that will have the most up-to-date information about COVID-19 in Boulder and Colorado:
- Boulder JCC for the Jewish community
- Congregation Har HaShem for the Jewish community
- City of Boulder
- Boulder County
- Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment
- Centers for Disease Control
Stay safe, stay healthy, and turn in your ballots as early as you can.
- Endowment Established to Rename JFS’s Jewish Community Chaplaincy program (10/22/2020) - Rabbi Eliot Baskin and Dr. Hilary Nieberg Baskin recently established an endowment to rename the Jewish Community Chaplaincy program at Jewish Family Service of Colorado (JFS) to the Baskin Jewish Community Chaplaincy program. Continue Reading
- March of the Living Launches Global Interfaith Initiative to Commemorate Kristallnacht (10/21/2020) - On November 9, 2020, March of the Living will mark Kristallnacht with a message of unity and hope, through a unique international campaign titled “Let There Be Light". Continue Reading
- Jews of Color Career Development Program Launches on Indigenous People’s Day with Aim to Diversify Jewish Leadership (10/21/2020) - The Jews of Color (JOC) Career Development Program announced its first cohort members who will work in Jewish ventures and institutions across the country, developing their skills as entrepreneurial leaders working toward system-level change in the Jewish community. Continue Reading
- IST is Turning 50! IST@50 Kick-Off-Town Hall-Launch Party-Birthday Celebration* (10/19/2020) - *an event so exciting it has four names! Join us for the first (of many) opportunities to reconnect with friends and fellow ISTers on Wednesday, October 21. Continue Reading
- Two Rabbis, Two Dogs, Two Congregations, One Shabbat (10/22/2020) - Join Rabbis Rachel Kobrin and Marc Soloway and their new dogs Baruch and Luna as two communities come together with their pets for a special Kabbalat Shabbat blessing Continue Reading
- Zane Aloia Bar Mitzvah (10/22/2020) - On Saturday, October 24th, 2020, Zane Aloia will be called to the Torah as a Bar Mitzvah at Congregation Nevei Kodesh. Continue Reading
- The Mystery Of The Copper Snake And The Power Of Passionate Prayer (10/21/2020) - The episode in the book of Numbers about the copper snake, is one of the most mysterious topics in the Torah. Join as Morah Yehudis Fishman conducts a 4-part Zoom class. Continue Reading
- Milo Freiburger & Brady Sommer B’nai Mitzvah (10/19/2020) - On Saturday, October 24th, 2020, Milo Freiburger & Brady Sommer will be called to the Torah as B'nai Mitzvah at Congregation Har HaShem. Continue Reading
- Boulder JCC Nosh & Network Panel Discussion: Pivot Business To Possibility (10/22/2020) - On Wednesday, October 28 the Boulder JCC will host a panel discussion on the ways in which COVID-19 required businesses to revisit the way their work is done, including reassessing, reshaping, and refocusing. Continue Reading
- This Week at Nevei Kodesh 10/23-10/29 (10/22/2020) - Nevei Kodesh, a warm and welcoming Jewish Renewal Community invites you to join us virtually for prayer, study and connection! Continue Reading
- Join Har HaShem Virtually – October 23-30 (10/22/2020) - Here is a quick list of all virtual events sponsored by Congregation Har HaShem in the next week. Continue Reading
- See “Children of the Inquisition” Online and Join Discussion (10/19/2020) - Temple Aaron of Trinidad, Colorado will be screening the documentary film "Children of the Inquisition" in an online event Saturday, October 24, 2020, followed by a panel discussion. Continue Reading
Adventure Judaism Weekly Virtual Events:
Thursdays 11:00 am Storytime with Sadie and Ori
Fridays 6:00 pm Shabbat Gathering with Rabbi Jamie Korngold