Shabbat shalom! The weekend after the election has arrived. Hopefully, we’ll soon have certainty about the next slate of leadership for our country.
Sadly, this week brought the news that Professor David Shneer passed away on Wednesday morning. The funeral is 1:00 pm today, and details for joining virtually can be found here.
Today, Boulder County moves to Level Orange, the most restrictive level before we get to a full blown Stay at Home order. Please be sure to follow all the recommendations/ requirements of Boulder County Public Health to combat COVID-19, including wearing masks in public and avoiding gatherings outside your family group.
You can find all of our local community virtual services at the “Jewish Community Virtual Offerings” link below under “Events”. There is also a link to the list of online programs being offered by the Boulder JCC.
Meanwhile, here are sources that will have the most up-to-date information about COVID-19 in Boulder and Colorado:
- Boulder JCC for the Jewish community
- Congregation Har HaShem for the Jewish community
- City of Boulder
- Boulder County
- Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment
- Centers for Disease Control
Stay safe, stay healthy, and turn in your ballots as early as you can.
- Cathy Summer, LCSW Joins JFS Boulder as Therapist (11/5/2020) - Cathy Summer, LCSW, former JFS Boulder manager, recently re-joined the JFS Boulder team as a part-time therapist. Continue Reading
- Congregation Bonai Shalom Welcomes New Executive Director (11/4/2020) - Say hello to Stacey Aviva Flint, the new Executive Director at Congregation Bonai Shalom. Stacey is passionate about Jewish African American relationship building and writes nationally on Antisemitism and Jews of Color. Continue Reading
- Thoughts After Election Day (11/4/2020) - The election outcome is still not clear today. Many of us may continue to feel stress and anxiety as the results unfold over the coming hours and days. Continue Reading
- Great Big Virtual Challah Bake Starts This Sunday (11/5/2020) - Great Big Virtual Challah Bake Starts This Sunday with @BoulderJCC #url# Continue Reading
- Funeral Information for Professor David Shneer z”l (11/5/2020) - The funeral for Professor David Shneer z"l will be livestreamed at 1:00 pm MT on Friday, November 6th, 2020. Continue Reading
- Ash Goldstein-O’Rourke Bet Mitzvah (11/5/2020) - On Saturday, November 7th, 2020, Ash Goldstein-O'Rourke will be called to the Torah as a Bet Mitzvah at Congregation Nevei Kodesh. Continue Reading
- Baruch Dayan HaEmet – Dr. David Shneer z”l (11/4/2020) - Professor David Shneer, Louis P. Singer Endowed Chair in Jewish History at the University of Colorado, Boulder, passed away Wednesday November 4th, 2020. Continue Reading
- Reinvented Shabbat Project to ‘Bring Shabbat Home’ in 1,600+ Cities from November 6-7 (11/2/2020) - In a world transformed by the COVID-19 pandemic, the 7th annual international Shabbat Project is organizing virtual pre-Shabbat events and providing educational materials for an intimate home-based Shabbat experience in more than 1,600 cities and 106 countries from November 6-7. Continue Reading
Arts and Culture
- Portrait of a Baseball Legend: Yogi Berra (11/4/2020) - Dale Berra offers a son’s perspective on Yogi for the first in "MY DAD, YOGI: A Memoir of Family and Baseball," a touching story of their unshakeable bond and an intimate behind-the-scenes look into the revered American hero. You can hear Dale as part of the Boulder JCC’s LitFest on Tuesday, November 10. Continue Reading
- Exams in Extremis: Standardized Testing, Politics, and Crisis in the Middle East – Free Webinar with Prof. Hilary Kalisman (11/4/2020) - How do some standardized tests come to matter more than others? What types of politics are involved in the creation and persistence of standardized tests? What futures can exams promise in times of crisis? Professor Hilary Falb Kalisman will explore these questions by discussing the history of standardized testing in the Modern Middle East. Continue Reading
- Amplifying Voices: Black + Jewish on Chicago’s Southside (11/1/2020) - Join Tamar Manasseh, the African American rabbinical student who is leading the fight against senseless killings on the south side of Chicago, and Brad Rothschild, “They Ain’t Ready for Me” film maker in discussion with Todd Rockoff, Tucson J CEO/President. Continue Reading
- L’Chaim – A Taste of Jewish Music from – Anatevka! (11/1/2020) - The fourth program of the Colorado Hebrew Chorale’s monthly series will be held Monday, Nov 9, 2020, during the Hebrew month of Cheshvan. Attendees will “travel” to “Anatevka” together with Zalmen Mlotek! Continue Reading
- Join Har HaShem Virtually – November 6-13 (11/5/2020) - Here is a quick list of all virtual events sponsored by Congregation Har HaShem in the next week. Continue Reading
- This Week at Nevei Kodesh 11/6-11/13 (11/5/2020) - Nevei Kodesh, a warm and welcoming Jewish Renewal Community invites you to join us virtually for prayer, study and connection! Continue Reading
- Bari Weiss: Free Speech and Cancel Culture Webinar from CU Boulder (11/2/2020) - Join former New York Times opinion writer and editor Bari Weiss and Benson Center Director Daniel Jacobson in a presentation and discussion about free speech and today's cancel culture on November 19th. Continue Reading
- Thank You from JTree and The Nature Conservancy (11/2/2020) - Meet the Seed Ball scientists and learn how many trees the Boulder Jewish Community has planted to date on a thank you Zoom, November 16. Continue Reading
- Boulder Hadassah Presents A Virtual Tour Of Ben-Gurion’s Desert Home (11/1/2020) - On Sunday, November 15, 2020, visit the Desert Home of David and Paula Ben-Gurion in Kibbutz Sde Boker in Ramat HaNegev with Hadassah. Continue Reading
Adventure Judaism Weekly Virtual Events: