Shoebox Stories is a story-holding project where you stand in another person’s shoes by reading aloud their story, saying their words, and holding, for a moment, the weight that they carry. Motus Theater will celebrate and recognize Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s fight for equality and civil rights this year by asking local leaders in Boulder County to stand in other people’s shoes.
Shoebox Stories pairs Motus’ undocumented monologists with prominent Boulderites from the Jewish community to amplify their stories and host a community conversation around immigration, the DACA + DREAMer programs and how, by standing in another’s shoes, we expand our understanding of what it means to be human. The readings will be followed by a conversation with the audience, led by Motus Artistic Director, Kirsten Wilson.
We are honored to present these readers on Tuesday, January 14.
- Naomi Feiman is a board-certified pediatrician, the daughter of a refugee, and the granddaughter of Holocaust survivors. As a response to the separation of families at the border, she helped to organize the Moral Minyan, a group that speaks out against the mistreatment of immigrants.
- Elias Sacks, Associate Professor of Jewish Studies and Religious Studies, is the new Director of the Program in Jewish Studies at the University of Colorado. His research and teaching focus on Jewish thought, Jewish-Christian relations, philosophy of religion, religion and politics, and religious ethics, with a particular interest in the modern period.
- Caroline Saliman has taught/directed camp/told stories at Har HaShem and the Boulder JCC Preschool for more than 20 years. Caroline has received numerous awards, including the Chidush Educator’s Award and the Grinspoon Steinhardt Award for Excellence in Jewish Education.
- Bella Weksler is a junior at Fairview High School in Boulder where she is on the leadership team for the environmental club Net Zero. She is also the Social Action Vice President of the Boulder Temple Youth. For fun, Bella is a climber.
- Jon Wood is the Board Chairman at CU Boulder Hillel, a board member of the young professionals group Flatiron Tribe, part of the Boulder JCC welcoming team and preschool vision team, and volunteers at Congregation Bonai Shalom. Jon leads knowledge management at Kantar, a brand consultancy.
Tuesday, January 14, 2020
7:00 – 9:00 pm
Tickets can be purchased at http://tickets.thedairy.org/online/ShoeboxStories
The Dairy Arts Center
2590 Walnut Street
Boulder, CO, 80302