Shabbat shalom. Sunday will be busy in Boulder, with a Global Day of Jewish Learning at Bonai Shalom, and a speaker on biblical archeaology at the Boulder JCC. Sunday is also the 100th anniversary of the end of World War I — the armistice that ended hostilities took effect at 11:00 am local time, the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918. Take a moment Sunday to think about the 9.7 million military deaths and the 10 million civilian deaths that occurred between August 1, 1914 and November 11, 1918, including 116,708 US military deaths. Baruch Dayan Ha’emet.
Meanwhile, stay cool, or warm, (it’s that time of year) and here are this week’s posts:
- Boulder Jewish Festival Announces New Co-Directors for 2019 Event (11/8/2018) - 30 Heshwan 5779 - Terri Miro and Adam Sloat will co-chair the 25th Annual Boulder Jewish Festival, to be held on June 2, 2019.
- Jewish Life Senior Program Officer Lisa Farber Miller Plans to Leave RCF (11/5/2018) - 27 Heshwan 5779 - After 22 years at Rose Community Foundation, Lisa Farber Miller, senior program officer for Jewish Life, today announced her plans to leave the Foundation effective February 1, 2019.
- Shmira: Guarding the Deceased – Education Session (11/7/2018) - 29 Heshwan 5779 - The Boulder Chevra Kadisha and Har HaShem will provide an overview and education session Tuesday for Shmira - sitting with the deceased (the met or metah) after death and prior to the funeral.
- The Polls Are In, Now Let’s Go Learn! Come to Global Day This Sunday (11/7/2018) - 29 Heshwan 5779 - Join Congregation Bonai Shalom THIS SUNDAY, 11/8/18 for the FREE 2018 Global Day of Jewish Learning and stay for a delicious, fresh and authentic Mexican lunch from Volcan Azul.
- CUPD Active Harmer Training at Hillel – Open to the Public (11/8/2018) - 30 Heshwan 5779 - What would you do if someone entered your space intending to harm innocent people? If you can’t immediately answer that question, this training is for you.
Arts and Culture
- Professor David Ilan Returns to Dig Deeper into Biblical Archaeology (11/7/2018) - 29 Heshwan 5779 - David Ilan discusses the politics and economics behind archaeological excavation in Israel today at the BJCC on Sunday at 3 pm.
- Father Desbois Brings Historic Holocaust Exhibit to the Boulder JCC (11/5/2018) - 27 Heshwan 5779 - Holocaust by Bullets memorializes the millions of Jews murdered at gunpoint to the east of the infamous death camps, and seeks to uncover and their buried history.