Shabbat shalom, and Chanukah Sameach – Happy Chanukah! The festival of lights begins Sunday night, and there are events aplenty this week to celebrate. Giant Menorahs will be lit in public in Boulder (Night 2, Monday night, with our Jewish Govenor-elect, Jared Polis), Louisville (Chanukah on Ice on Night 5, Thursday night) and Lafayette (Night 8, second Sunday night) during the week, and for young adults (but over 21, please) there is Ignite Chanukah 9 on Wednesday night. Bookmark our Chanukah page for all the latest news.
Also, BJN receives a LOT of books! If you’re looking for gift ideas, here are a few titles that have crossed our desk recently: “The Tattoist of Auschwitz“, “Six Thousand Miles From Home“, “The Jewish American Paradox“, “Sara Berman’s Closet“, “We Are Going To Be Lucky: A World War II Love Story in Letters” and “The Modern Jewish Baker“.
Meanwhile, stay warm, and here are this week’s posts:
- Governor-Elect Jared Polis to Participate at Chanukah on Pearl (11/29/2018) - 21 Kislev 5779 - This year, Governor-Elect Jared Polis will be in attendance at the Chanukah on Pearl celebration Monday night.
- Har HaShem Holds Online Chanukah Auction — Now (11/27/2018) - 19 Kislev 5779 - Har HaShem’s Hanukkah Online Silent Auction runs through Saturday, December 1, 2018.
- On Philanthropy: Best Excerpts from the First 100 Columns (11/27/2018) - 19 Kislev 5779 - Since 2010, I have now written 100 columns addressing many aspects of philanthropy – for families, businesses and foundations. To acknowledge this milestone, here are some of my favorite excerpts.
- The Radermans to Be Honored as Lamplighters for Boulder Menorah Lighting (11/25/2018) - 17 Kislev 5779 - Each year the Boulder County Center for Judaism selects a member of the Boulder Jewish community to receive the special honor of lighting the giant community menorah. This year’s Lamplighters are Josh and Bonni Raderman, who have been lighting things up Jewishly in Boulder for many years.
- Nefesh B’Nefesh Hosts 5 Thanksgiving Dinners Across Israel (11/25/2018) - 17 Kislev 5779 - Events were held in Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, Haifa and Beer Sheva providing Olim with a taste of Thanksgiving.
- Adam and Dani Sloat to be Honored as Menorah Lighters at Chanukah on Ice (11/29/2018) - 21 Kislev 5779 - This year’s Louisville Lamplighters are Adam and Dani Sloat, who returned after living out-of-state for many years and jumped right into giving their time and enthusiasm to the Louisville Jewish community.
- Join Us for a Friday Night Chanukah Dinner (11/29/2018) - 21 Kislev 5779 - Join us at Boulder Center for Judaism on Friday night of Chanukah, December 7 and enjoy a delicious Shabbos dinner with the traditional Chanukah trimmings.
- Tessa Goldman Bat Mitzvah (11/29/2018) - 21 Kislev 5779 - On Saturday, December 1st, 2018, Tessa Goldman will be called to the Torah as a Bat Mitzvah at Congregation Har HaShem.
- Curious About Chanukah and Social Justice? Ignite Chanukah 9 Will Illuminate (11/28/2018) - 20 Kislev 5779 - Come watch your peers get up and give fast-paced, thought-provoking, 5-minute TED-talk-style presentations on their passions.
- Boulder JFS Seeks Friendly Visitor Volunteers (11/28/2018) - 20 Kislev 5779 - Give yourself and an older adult in the Boulder area a gift by becoming a Friendly Visitor volunteer through Boulder Jewish Family Service.
- Rabbi Marc’s A Dash of Drash – Spoken Words – Episode 82 (11/28/2018) - 20 Kislev 5779 - A selection of some spoken word poetry written over the last month in Alabama, Warsaw, Auschwitz, Krakow, Berlin and Prague.
- The New Year Is Upon Us and It’s Not January First (11/27/2018) - 19 Kislev 5779 - On this day, the great Chassidic Master, Reb Shneur Zalman of Chabad, was released from Czarist prison after being arrested on trumped up charges that he was aiding a revolt against the Czar.
- Skate Into Night Number 5 at Chanukah on Ice (11/25/2018) - 17 Kislev 5779 - Join us as we honor Louisville Lamplighters Adam and Dani Sloat in Louisville at WinterSkate!
- SIPP Program Sunday: Stories From EMIS (11/29/2018) - 21 Kislev 5779 - SIPP (Sustainable Israeli-Palestinian Projects) is sponsoring an event this Sunday with three graduates of the innovative Eastern Mediterranean International School (EMIS) in Tel Aviv about their transformative experiences living and learning together in peace.
Arts and Culture
- 8 Nights – Staged Reading at Curious Theatre Benefiting HIAS (11/29/2018) - 21 Kislev 5779 - Rabbi Marc Soloway will be part of this reading at the Curious Theatre on Sunday night, December 9th.