Shabbat shalom. This week begins the planning for Chanukah, and we posted our first pieces about this year’s celebrations. The Har HaShem Gift Shop swings into full holiday mode this weekend. Bookmark our Chanukah page for all the latest news. Oh, and have a great Thanksgiving, too!
Meanwhile, stay cool, or warm, (it’s that time of year) and here are this week’s posts:
- Jewish Family Service Appoints Linda Foster as President and CEO (11/14/2018) - 6 Kislev 5779 - Linda P. Foster was selected as Jewish Family Service of Colorado’s (JFS) new president and CEO and will join the agency on November 28, 2018.
- ADL Calls on Leaders to Redouble Efforts to Counter Hate After FBI Hate Crimes Report (11/14/2018) - 6 Kislev 5779 - The Anti-Defamation League (ADL) Mountain States Region expressed concern that, for the third year in a row, the FBI’s annual hate crime report documents an increase in hate crimes nationwide.
- Boulder County’s Largest Menorah to Light Up Pearl St. Mall for Night 2 (11/15/2018) - 7 Kislev 5779 - Every year, hundreds of people brave the always-variable weather to stand together on the Pearl Street Mall and watch the lighting of Boulder County’s Biggest Menorah.
- Refugees and Asylum-Seekers: Then and Now – First Friday (11/15/2018) - 7 Kislev 5779 - Join Congregation Bonai Shalom and Sandra Saltrese-Miller, an immigration lawyer, for December First Friday, December 7 as she discusses the history of American asylum law and current key policy issues relating to refugees, asylum seekers, and birthright citizenship.
- Rabbi Marc’s A Dash of Drash – Angels and Auschwitz – Episode 80 (11/15/2018) - 7 Kislev 5779 - I visited Auschwitz for the first time last week and am still processing that intense experience, which has left a lasting imprint on me.
- BJTI Reprises Popular “Chopped” Challenge for Chanukah (11/14/2018) - 6 Kislev 5779 - Boulder Jewish Teen Initiative at the JCC is celebrating Chanukah with a challenge this year: take on our mystery baskets and see if you have what it takes to be a maven in the kitchen!
- Elias Putterman and Eli Spielman B’nai Mitzvah (11/14/2018) - 6 Kislev 5779 - On Saturday, November 17th, 2018, Elias Putterman and Eli Spielman will be called to the Torah as B'nai Mitzvah at Congregation Har HaShem.
- From Kazimierz – Krakow’s Jewish Quarter in Poland (11/12/2018) - 4 Kislev 5779 - "I am sitting in the cafe the Galicia Museum in Krakow's Jewish quarter, which tells the 1,000 year old tale of Jews in this land."
- Bob Perlow Warmed Up the Reel Hope Boulder Crowd (11/12/2018) - 4 Kislev 5779 - Bob Perlow, the go-to warm-up comedy act for countless hit sitcoms and variety shows, entertained nearly 200 people attending the 6th annual Reel Hope Boulder, benefiting Boulder Jewish Family Service (JFS).
Arts and Culture
- Boulder Jewish Film Festival Announces 2019 Line-Up (11/15/2018) - 7 Kislev 5779 - From mambo to jazz, baseball to comedy, feminism to heroism, from the capture of Eichmann to solving the global water crisis, the 7th annual Boulder Jewish Film Festival conveys the Jewish experience across time and throughout history.
- Why? (11/12/2018) - 4 Kislev 5779 - We're in this life, in this deal/we're meant to make it through.