Shabbat shalom! Here we are at the end of August, and the middle of Elul – the time to prepare for the High Holidays, which start just over a week from now. This week, we have lots of high holiday-related posts, as I’m sure we will again next week (including some receipes… stay tuned!). In fact, here’s a link to our High Holidays page, with all the latest High Holidays content which you can bookmark to keep handy. And of course, this weekend in Boulder includes Labor Day and the three-day Boulder Hometown Festival, so get out and have some fun!
Meanwhile, stay cool and enjoy this week’s posts:
- Denver JCC Announces Two New Executives, Fitness Director (8/30/2018) - 19 Elul 5778 - The Staenberg – Loup Jewish Community Center (JCC Denver) officially announced two new executives including Ron Ekstrand, Chief Operating Officer, and Sonia Dobinsky, Chief Program Officer.
- Colorado Experiences Uptick In White Supremacist Propaganda (8/28/2018) - 17 Elul 5778 - ADL has tracked 36 white supremacist propaganda incidents in Colorado so far this year, including distributions on eight college campuses.
- JEWISHcolorado Congratulates Boulder-Ramat HaNegev Sister City Partnership (8/26/2018) - 15 Elul 5778 - JEWISHcolorado congratulates Boulder on their new sister city relationship, which promises to further enhance Colorado’s current alliance with the region.
- Phone Survey Launched to Explore Jewish Population in the Greater Denver-Boulder Area (8/26/2018) - 15 Elul 5778 - To gain insights and data on Jewish life and people in the Greater Denver area, researchers are launching the telephone survey portion of the Greater Denver Jewish Community Study in late August.
- Celebrate Rosh Hashanah with Humanistic Congregation Beth Ami (8/30/2018) - 19 Elul 5778 - Beth Ami--Colorado Congregation for Humanistic Judaism invites you and your family to attend our two family friendly Rosh Hashanah events.
- How Do High Holiday Services Leave You Feeling? (8/30/2018) - 19 Elul 5778 - If you're tired of nodding off into your prayer book, join us for a high holiday service that's meaningful and easy to follow.
- AEPi, Synagogue Connect Help College Students Find Free High Holidays Choices (8/30/2018) - 19 Elul 5778 - Synagogue Connect founders Rabbi Ronald Brown and Rabbi Charles Klein have already gotten nearly 1,100 congregations from all denominations (Reform, Reconstructionist, Conservative and Orthodox) and throughout the world to offer free seats to college students.
- Did You Order Your Lulav and Esrog Yet? Deadline September 4 (8/30/2018) - 19 Elul 5778 - Are you a Jew who is Jewishly active or one who doesn't observe many rituals? The secret to our Jewish survival and success comes from our ability to unite in our differences.
- Rabbi Marc’s A Dash of Drash – The Shofar’s Voice – Episode 76 (8/30/2018) - 19 Elul 5778 - Every morning during the month of Elul, leading us into the New Year, it is traditional to blow and hear the shofar whose voice is supposed to wake us up to our mission.
- Minna Most Bat Mitzvah (8/28/2018) - 17 Elul 5778 - On Saturday, September 1, 2018, Minna Most will be called to the Torah as a Bat Mitzvah at Congregation Bonai Shalom.
- Pray with Passion, A Pre-Rosh Hashanah Class (8/26/2018) - 15 Elul 5778 - Join Chany Scheiner and other Boulder women for a thought provoking class to get inspired to get into the Elul Mindset.
- Peggy Leech to Speak at Boulder Hadassah’s Annual Kick-Off Event (8/28/2018) - 17 Elul 5778 - Peggy Leech, President of the League of Women Voters of Boulder County, will speak on “Making Democracy Work For All” at Boulder Hadassah's Annual Event.
- Food Rescue Feast ’18 Will Feature Indian Food (8/28/2018) - 17 Elul 5778 - It will be an amazing event hosted at the Boulder Jewish Community Center, including an Indian Food Buffet, special fermented appetizers and deserts created by local chef Jordan Anderson, all you can drink bar, a silent auction, yard games and a photo bus!
Arts and Culture
- Boulder JCC to Host Panel Discussion on Sexual Harassment (8/28/2018) - 17 Elul 5778 - This panel discussion will address the demands for change initiated by women in the entertainment industry and the #metoo movement.