Shabbat Shalom! Please think about helping #Harvey and #Irma victims via donating to the Red Cross or via JEWISHcolorado’s #Harvey fund.
Have a great long weekend, stay cool, and enjoy this week’s stories in the BJN:
- ADL Condemns Anti-Semitic Graffiti at Home of Lafayette Jewish Couple (9/7/2017) - 16 Elul 5777 - The ADL Mountain States Region condemned the alleged vandalism of a Jewish couple’s apartment door in Lafayette with a swastika.
- Colorado Students Drive 16 Hours to Houston With $20,000 in Supplies (9/5/2017) - 14 Elul 5777 - In a text, Rabbi Wilhelm wrote: “Let’s do something crazy. Let’s go to Houston.”
- JEWISHcolorado Names Marsha Hurwitz as Interim CEO (9/5/2017) - 14 Elul 5777 - We are excited to welcome Marsha to our community, and we trust that her vast experience will bode well for JEWISHcolorado as we transition to new leadership and new beginnings.
- Exploring the Science of Character, Meaning, and Purpose on the 4th Annual Character Day (9/4/2017) - 13 Elul 5777 - Scheduled for Wednesday, September 13, 2017, Character Day is an innovative global initiative that has proven successful since its inception in 2014, and last year oversaw 93,000 events in 125 countries and all 50 states.
- LETTER: DREAMers Deserve a Future (9/3/2017) - 12 Elul 5777 - DACA was implemented in 2012 to protect DREAMers, undocumented young people who arrived in the U.S. before the age of sixteen, from deportation. It's now under attack and in danger of being ended.
- Hillel of Colorado Hosts High Holiday Services at CU Boulder (9/7/2017) - 16 Elul 5777 - Hillel of Colorado is hosting High Holiday services for Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur at the University of Colorado at Boulder for students and community members.
- Shabbat Nugget: Birthday of the Baal Shem Tov and Alter Rebbe (9/7/2017) - 16 Elul 5777 - This Shabbat is the birthday of the Baal Shem Tov and also the Birthday of the first Chabad Rebbe called the Alter Rebbe.
- Wandering Jews and Syrians – Parshat Ki Tavo (9/7/2017) - 16 Elul 5777 - Where exactly does our national story begin?
- Ask the Rabbi Booth at Farmers Market in Boulder and Lafayette (9/5/2017) - 14 Elul 5777 - Do you have any Jewish questions and would love to shmooze with Rabbi Scheiner of Boulder Center for Judaism?
- Baruch Dayan Ha’emet: Melvin Gelfarb z”l (9/4/2017) - 13 Elul 5777 - Dr. Melvin Gelfarb, father of Rabbi Ruth Gelfarb, passed away on August 30, 2017 at age 90 in Great Neck, NY.
- Let’s Talk About Creation, a First Friday Panel at Congregation Bonai Shalom (9/3/2017) - 12 Elul 5777 - Join us at Congregation Bonai Shalom on September 8th for the First Friday Kabbalat Shabbat services and, in honor of Rosh HaShanah celebrating the birth of the world, a panel discussion on creation.
Arts and Culture
- “The Yellow Ticket” Silent Film Screening Features Live Score Performance (9/3/2017) - 12 Elul 5777 - CU Boulder and the Dairy Arts Center are pleased to present a screening of a rare 1918 silent film, "The Yellow Ticket," accompanied by an original film score composed and performed live by klezmer violinist Alicia Svigals with jazz pianist Marilyn Lerner.
- Our Fortress, Our Home: a Poem (9/3/2017) - 12 Elul 5777 - A new poem.