Memorial Day/Yom Hazikaron
We invite the entire community to a special Israel Memorial Day ceremony at the Boulder JCC on Sunday, April 30th at 5:00 pm. This event is organized by the Shelanu committee, whose members came together for the purpose of building and maintaining a strong, a-political and authentic connection between the Boulder community and the State of Israel.
The event will highlight the personal stories of friends and relatives of Colorado residents who fell in Israeli wars and terror attacks. The stories of a few of the fallen will be presented at this event, along with a short memorial ceremony. In addition to presenting these stories at this event, the Shelanu committee has preserved this data on an Internet site dedicated to their memory at https://www.coloradoyizkor.com/
Independence Day/Yom Ha’atzmaut
ISRAEL INDEPENDENCE DAY – Celebrate Yom Ha’atzmaut at the Boulder JCC!
MONDAY, MAY 1, 5:00 – 8:00 pm – No charge, but registration required: CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.
The first Israel Independence Day celebration in the new Boulder JCC will feature a feast of programs and activities for all ages. Designed by local Israelis and friends, our inaugural Yom Ha’atzmaut will showcase the JCC’s new home with an Israeli-style party. The community-wide celebration is sponsored by JEWISHcolorado and the Boulder JCC, and co-sponsored by numerous Jewish agencies.
- Doors open at 5:00 pm.
- Ceremony at 5:15 pm in Levin Hall.
- Family activities start at 5:30 and include a bouncy castle, a gaga pit, Israeli trivia for families, face-painting, cookie decoration, and more children’s fun in the Gym.
- Israeli dancing led by Frank and Gillian Tower, with live Israeli and Jewish music by the Sheldon Sands Trio, takes place from 5:30-7:00 pm in Levin Hall
- Breakout Sessions from 5:30 – 7:00 pm include a discussion of Israeli TV commercials, a program on graffiti in Israel, and a panel discussion of the Israeli Declaration of Independence by Rabbi Marc Soloway and JEWISHcolorado Israeli emissary Osnat Fox.
- The new film “Mekonen: The Journey of an African Jew,” suitable for adults and teens, screens at 7:00 pm in Levin Hall. “Mekonen” is the latest film from Jerusalem U, which produced “Israel Inside” and “Beneath the Helmet” (shown at the JCC last Yom Hazikaron). “Mekonen” is an inspiring short documentary focusing on an Ethiopian Israeli serving in the IDF. WATCH THE TRAILER
- Falafel for purchase from Falafel King, 5:30-7:00 pm in Levin Hall
Co-Sponsored by: JEWISHcolorado, ACE at the J, Congregation Har Hashem, Congregation Bonai Shalom, Cornerstone Church, CU Hillel, Kesher Foundation, AIPAC, Jennifer and Eric Weissmann, Jackie and Mark Wong, Aza and Ron Squarer.