Boulder Colorado—The 13th International Symposium on Genital Autonomy and Children’s Rights, “Whole Bodies, Whole Selves: Activating Social Change,” will be hosted at the University of Colorado—Boulder on July 24-26, 2014. The Symposium focuses on interdisciplinary dialogue about the often controversial topic of genital cutting practices of male, female, and intersex children, and on strategies for protecting children from unnecessary genital alteration.
The Symposium features speakers from around the world, including the U.S., Canada, Australia, United Kingdom, Israel, Germany, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, and Liberia. Included are experts in health care law, bioethics, midwifery, pediatrics, psychiatry, psychology, sociology, anthropology, religion, intersex advocacy, foreskin restoration, and children’s rights.
Several conference presenters are Jewish; some will be speaking specifically about the problems inherent in Jewish ritual circumcision. Jewish presenters include:
- Psychologist Ronald Goldman, who will be speaking about the psychology of circumcision;
- Award-winning journalist Jennifer Margulis will be speaking about the business of circumcision in connection with her recent book The Business of Baby (Scribner 2013);
- Berkeley, California novelist Lisa Braver Moss will be speaking about non-circumcising families in the Jewish community;
- Social activist Eran Sedah will be speaking (via Skype) about the anti-circumcision movement in Israel;
- Psychiatrist Richard Schwartzman will be speaking about unconscious cruelty—the emotions behind genital cutting;
- Writer/publisher Rebecca Wald will be speaking about the Beyond the Bris website;
- Documentary filmmaker Francelle Wax will be screening an excerpt from her forthcoming film.
These Symposia have taken place every other year since 1989, alternating between the United States and a location abroad. They are an important forum for advancing knowledge and thought on these issues, and for connecting people in the Genital Autonomy Movement from all over the world.
The 13th International Symposium on Genital Autonomy and Children’s Rights is sponsored by The National Organization of Circumcision Information Resource Centers (USA), Intact America (USA), Genital Autonomy (UK and Australia), and the Sexpo Foundation (Finland). It is locally organized by NOCIRC of Colorado.
For more information please contact Rebecca Wald, firstname.lastname@example.org.