On Sunday night, 25 people gathered at the BJCC to enjoy a Cuban meal and meet the trip group leader, Miriam Levinson, from JCC Chicago. Miriam, who is Cuban-born, has led more than 100 Jewish missions since 2000, many for JCCs around the country.
Levinson has personal memories of growing up in Cuba. She has deep knowledge of the rich Jewish history of Cuba. She is intimately acquainted with the small but vibrant Jewish community. She knows the best restaurants, hotels and Cuban guides. She knows how to walk through a museum and point out Jewish content invisible to most eyes.
Levinson described the Cuba she knows, and the Cuba she shows travelers. She talked about the balmy weather, the delicious but unexpectedly mild food, the complete safety of moving around streets, and the friendliness of the Cubans who love Americans.
She explained what a typical day looks like, the amount of free time, and the freedom to explore Cuba and interact with Cubans. Every evening ends with music and dancing, the heart and soul of Cuban culture.
One of the best arguments for going on a mission now is that in a few years when Cuba is open, this quaint old Cuba will be gone.
The trip is limited to 40 people. A deposit of $500 per person secures your place.
The deposit is 75% refundable by May 15, 50% refundable by June 15 and 25% refundable by August 15. Visa applications will be made in September.
The Boulder Jewish Mission to Cuba includes:
- Airfare from Miami
- One night hotel accommodations in Miami
- Six nights in Havana and one night in Santa Clara
- Buffet breakfast daily in Cuba
- Dinner nightly in Cuba
- Two lunches
- Medical and accidental insurance in Cuba
- Services of a professional English-speaking
- Cuban guide
- Pre-departure meetings
- Motor coach transportation
- Baggage handling at hotels
- Visits with special speakers
- Lecture at the University of Havana
- Lecture with Jewish historian
- Cultural exchange with leaders of the community
- Jewish Community Highlights: Patronato, Jewish Community Center, Free Pharmacy, Sephardic Jewish Community of Cuba, Orthodox Jewish Community of Cuba, Jewish Communities of Cienfuegos and Santa Clara, Jewish Cemetery in Guanabacoa, ORT Sunday school and Senior Center
Single supplement: Add $475
*Not included: Your airfare to Miami, and approximately $90 taxes and $175 for tips. Optional trip insurance is available through Travel Guard.
We meet in Miami on Monday January 13 for an orientation session. On Tuesday we leave for Cuba, where we spend seven nights, returning to Miami for connecting flights to Colorado on Tuesday, Jan 21.