Do you write novels? Do you want to learn about the business of publishing fiction books? Are you looking for that elusive “critique” from a literary agent? If you are a writer – anywhere on your journey between that first sentence and published author – come join us!
The goal of this two-hour writing workshop is to look at your work with an eye towards publication. Sara will talk about the process of finding a literary agent, what a literary agent looks for in a submission and how agents go about selling books to major NY publishing houses. Each participant will be encouraged to bring their work – on paper, on a laptop, on a Kindle (yes, we will have internet access). After talking about the business of publishing, Sara will look at your work specifically (if you want her to).
- 30 spots per workshop means VERY specialized attention
- plenty of time for Q&A and personal critique of your novel (yes, Sara will look personally at your query letter, synopsis and/or novel if you’d like her to and will offer direct feedback)
- Sara is actively acquiring new clients so will be open to pitches the day of the workshop, and will provide submission information for writers who may be interested in pursuing publication later
- All proceeds (yes ALL proceeds) go directly to the Boulder Jewish Day School
- Bagels and coffee will be provided, so even if you want to come simply to listen and enjoy a coffee, that’s fine
- Manuscripts do NOT have to be complete in order to attend this workshop
- The only restriction is that Sara represents fiction, so if you want personalized feedback on your novel it MUST be in one of these genres – romance (any category except inspirational), young adult or middle grade (any subgenre), science fiction or fantasy, women’s fiction, chick lit or commercial fiction
- Yes, you can absolutely bring more than one project to workshop
The workshop will be held at the Boulder Jewish Day School, 7415 Lookout Road, Longmont CO 80503 (on Lookout Road just west of 75th off of 119) on Sunday March 13 and Sunday April 3. 9:30-11:30am. 30 spots per day (the workshop is the same on both days, so pick whichever one is more convenient)
RSVP quickly as this will fill up! To RSVP, email to MegibowWorkshop@gmail.com – your name, contact info (phone or email) and date you want to attend. Yes, you can ask limited questions at this email address if you need clarification on something. Please bring to the workshop a check for $50 per writer, check made out to Boulder Jewish Day School.
Why I’m doing this…
My son is in kindergarten at Boulder Jewish Day School. He reads and writes in Hebrew and English (at five years old) and this is thanks to the outstanding curriculum and world-class teachers he enjoys. This writing workshop is my chance to give back to the school. I know writers are eager for feedback and coaching from a literary agent. And, I am eager to meet new writers! Also, I want my son to know how much I value his school, his teachers and his education. So, all the money raised will go to support the literature programs at BJDS. Education should inspire and BJDS has proven itself to me as a mother over and over through the years. In fact, I just signed myself up for Hebrew classes (to catch up to my son).
About Sara Megibow: Sara Megibow has been with the Nelson Literary Agency since early 2006. Her first responsibilities included reading the query letters, sample pages and full manuscripts submitted for representation. In early 2009, she was promoted to Associate Literary Agent and is now actively accepting submissions of her own. From sexy romance to epic fantasy, Sara has loved reading since picking up her first copy of The Hobbit. Some of the books Sara has helped acquire include NYTimes Bestselling HOTEL ON THE CORNER OF BITTER AND SWEET by Jamie Ford and NYTimes Bestselling PERFECT CHEMISTRY by Simone Elkeles. She has personally sold 6 debut authors in the last year (including the upcoming SCORE by Miranda Kenneally and THE SIREN by Tiffany Reisz). Sara has a B.A. in Women’s Studies and a B.A. in American History from Northwestern University. She lives in sunny Boulder with her beat-boxing husband, adorable son and two fuzzy cats. Nelson Literary Agency is a member in good standing of AAR, RWA, SCBWI and SFWA. For more information on The Nelson Literary Agency, visit www.nelsonagency.com. For more information on Sara, her sales, her tastes and her philosophy, click here. @SaraMegibow on twitter.
Boulder Jewish Day School is a fully accredited independent community day school whose motto is “Educational Excellence and Jewish Values.”
I am interested in the March 13th session.