Shabbat Shalom! The Boulder Jewish Film Festival opened last night, and continues until March 19th. Tickets remain to many of the films. Here is a link to a Boulder Weekly article, “Better Living Through Cinema that touches on film festivals as diversity education that quotes Kathryn Bernheimer. Also, of course, Purim starts Saturday night after Shabbat, so to all a Purim sameach (check our page of Purim articles)!
Have a great weekend, stay warm, and enjoy this week’s stories in the BJN:
- Opinion: Is the Jewish Film Festival a Deliberate Response to Hate? (3/9/2017) - 11 Adar II 5777 - Come together as a community to embrace Jewish values of inclusivity and diversity at the Boulder Jewish Film Festival.
- Letter: Boulder JCC Receives New Bomb Threat (3/8/2017) - 10 Adar II 5777 - Late Tuesday night, the Boulder JCC received an emailed bomb threat.
- 200+ Attend “Being Mortal” Screening and Panel Discussion (3/7/2017) - 9 Adar II 5777 - Last Thursday night, March 2, more than 200 people attended a screening of Atul Gawande’s Frontline program "Being Mortal," and panel discussion by exceptional speakers.
- Scrolling in Boulder… Purim To-Do List (3/9/2017) - 11 Adar II 5777 - With only hours away from Purim, now is the time to plan on maximizing your Purim so that you can tap into the inherent joy connected to the day.
- Purim Nugget: Mind Vs. Soul (3/9/2017) - 11 Adar II 5777 - Which type of person is better? The person who looks at everything through the prisms of the mind or the person who looks at things more simply and sometimes more clearly?
- The Wonderful Cholent: A Story of Rabbi Chaim Soloveitchik of Volozhin, the “Brisket Rabbi” (3/9/2017) - 11 Adar II 5777 - Henry Rasof offers this original purimspiel in honor of the holiday.
- Gardening Boot Camp with a Jewish Twist (3/7/2017) - 9 Adar II 5777 - Seed to Table is the event for you if you want to take your garden to the next level, or start your very first garden.
- Teens: BJTI Annual Ski Day (3/7/2017) - 9 Adar II 5777 - We will be spending the morning hitting the runs then join together for lunch, ride to the top for a quick Shechayanu and enjoy each other’s company the rest of the afternoon on the mountain.
Arts and Culture
- March Madness: Tal Brody and Maccabi Tel-Aviv Put Israel “On The Map” (3/9/2017) - 11 Adar II 5777 - The 5th Boulder Jewish Film Festival opened Thursday night with a gem of a documentary: "On the Map."
- Nothing But the Best for 5th Boulder Jewish Film Festival (3/8/2017) - 10 Adar II 5777 - "On the Map" celebrates a great moment of triumph in our history - a perfect fit for the new JCC's first Boulder Jewish Film Festival opening night.
- Looking For Jewish Victoria (3/8/2017) - 10 Adar II 5777 - Several months ago, I visited Vancouver Island for an extended weekend. Even though my initial intention was to enjoy the capitol city, I was curious to find out more about Victoria’s Jewish community.
- 1492: Columbus, the Jews, and the Messiah in Spain (3/7/2017) - 9 Adar II 5777 - The Program in Jewish Studies at the University of Colorado Boulder is pleased to welcome Professor Matt Goldish as the 2017 Annual Sondra and Howard Bender Visiting Scholar.