Shabbat Shalom! Unless you’ve been under a rock somewhere, you probably know there is a total solar eclipse coming on Monday, August 21. Morah Yehudis wrote an interesting take on the eclipse.
Have a great weekend, stay cool, watch safely, and enjoy this week’s stories in the BJN:
- Together at the Table: Celebrate Unity and Diversity This Shabbat (8/17/2017) - 25 Av 5777 - This Friday, August 18th join together for Together at the Table, a celebration of unity and diversity in the face of fear and division.
- Musical Kabbalat Shabbat Friday Night (8/17/2017) - 25 Av 5777 - With songs and psalms galore, a musical Kabbalat Shabbat service will bring joy to your ears tonight at Congregation Bonai Shalom.
- L.E.D. Through the Darkness (8/17/2017) - 25 Av 5777 - Many rabbis ask why we do not say a blessing for an eclipse as we do for other natural phenomena that we encounter, like thunder and lightning, earthquakes, etc.
- The Body Politic – Parshat Re’eh (8/17/2017) - 25 Av 5777 - Chapter fourteen of Deuteronomy opens with one of the most intimate metaphors for our relationship with God - that of parent and child.
- Julia and Hayden Coulson B’nai Mitzvah (8/17/2017) - 25 Av 5777 - On Saturday, August 19th, 2017, Julia and Hayden Coulson will be called to the Torah as B'nai Mitzvah at Congregation Har HaShem.
- David Shaltakoff Bar Mitzvah (8/17/2017) - 25 Av 5777 - On Saturday, August 19th, 2017, David Shaltakoff will be called to the Torah as a Bar Mitzvah with the Adventure Rabbi.
- Doctors Without Borders to Reconstruct Refugee Camp on Pearl Street (8/15/2017) - 23 Av 5777 - War has come to your home and you’re forced to escape. What obstacles do you encounter on your journey?
Arts and Culture
- “On The Map” Returns for a One Night Screening at AMC Westminster (8/17/2017) - 25 Av 5777 - Chabad of NW Metro Denver is pleased to announce its third annual summer movie presentation "On The Map" on Thursday, August 24th.
- SHJ Exec to Give Talk on “Intermarriage and the Future of Judasim” (8/15/2017) - 23 Av 5777 - Golin says, "Intermarriage is good, period." ...The question then is what comes next, when intermarriage is seen instead as an opportunity to meaning and growth...