Shabbat Shalom! Sunday night marks the beginning of Yom HaZikaron, Israeli Memorial Day, which then becomes Yom Ha’atzmaut, Israel Independence Day on Monday night. Plan on being at the Boulder JCC both nights for very different commemoration events.
Have a great weekend, and enjoy this week’s stories in the BJN:
- New “Standards of Excellence” Offer Guidelines for Jewish Early Childhood Education (4/24/2017) - 28 Nisan 5777 - After a decade of initiatives and millions invested, this landmark publication paints a clear picture of exemplary marketing and educational practices.
- Anti-Semitic Incidents Surge in Colorado in 2016, Continue to Spike in 2017 (4/24/2017) - 28 Nisan 5777 - The number of anti-Semitic incidents reported in Colorado more than doubled in 2016 from the previous year, according to new data released today by the Anti-Defamation League.
- Shabbat Nugget – The Right Person to Judge (4/27/2017) - 1 Iyar 5777 - In this week's Torah portion we learn about the Tzoraas affliction which was a form of leprosy that a person contacted as a punishment for speaking ill about other people.
- Jewish Broadway Returns to Boulder May 7 (4/27/2017) - 1 Iyar 5777 - Broadway comes to Boulder once again at Congregation Nevei Kodesh, Boulder’s vibrant Jewish Renewal community, at our annual FUN-draiser, Sunday, May 7.
- Women’s Lunch and Learn with Sylvie Sherman-Bloch (4/27/2017) - 1 Iyar 5777 - Women’s Philanthropy of JEWISHcolorado proudly presents a Boulder Lunch & Learn on Wednesday, May 10.
- Israel Memorial Day / Independence Day Celebrations At BJCC (4/25/2017) - 29 Nisan 5777 - Plan to spend Sunday night and Monday night at the Boulder JCC, commemorating Yom Hazikaron and celebrating Yom Haatzmaut.
Arts and Culture
- Triumphs Amid Tragedy in Two Films (4/26/2017) - 30 Nisan 5777 - Two superb features films, set in 1944, detail stunning stories of desperation.
- Hatred and Home Runs in the Shadow of War (4/26/2017) - 30 Nisan 5777 - From award-winning journalist and blogger Ron Kaplan comes "Hank Greenberg in 1938: Hatred and Home Runs in the Shadow of War" (Sports Publishing; April 2017). This well-researched, month-by-month chronicle of the Jewish Detroit Tigers Hall of Famer describes what was going on in both Germany and the United States in 1938 through the lens of Continue Reading
- Commemorate 50 Years Since Israel’s Six-Day War with New Adult Ed Course (4/25/2017) - 29 Nisan 5777 - Beginning Tuesday May 9, Rabbi Benjy Brackman of Chabad of NW Metro Denver will offer a fascinating new six-session course called "Survival of a Nation: Exploring Israel Through the Lens of the Six-Day War."