The ninth annual Boulder International Film Festival (affectionately known as BIFF) will be held here February 14-17. Boulder’s answer to the gatherings at Cannes, Sundance, and Telluride is a community event that packs Presidents’ Day weekend with workshops, music, celebrities, and, of course, lots and lots of movies.
This year’s festival will show 47 films from all over the world—features, documentaries, shorts, animated films, and all kinds of cinema you won’t see anywhere else. MovieMaker magazine called BIFF “one of the coolest film festivals in the world” and this year, living up to that reputation, BIFF will feature the appearance of Peter Fonda, who played one of the coolest characters ever: Captain America in Easy Rider.
Oscar nominee Fonda, son of Henry and brother of Jane, has appeared in 97 films. On Sunday, February 17, at a special event at the Boulder Theater, he will be accepting the Pinnacle Award from BIFF for his accomplishments over a long career.
Spread over four days and five downtown venues—the Boulder Theater, Boulder High School, eTown Hall, First United Methodist Church, and Boulder Public Library—this year’s BIFF offerings also include:
- A Fierce Green Fire, the inside perspective on the last 50 years of the environmental movement.
- Defiant Requiem, the powerful story of an historic act of defiance at the concentration camp of Terezin.
- Digital Dharma, about a Utah Mormon man who devoted his life to preserving ancient Buddhist texts.
- Shun Li and the Poet, a moving cross-cultural story of a young Chinese immigrant in Italy.
- On the Road, Walter Salles brilliant adaptation of the path-breaking novel by Jack Kerouac.
…and dozens more. View the complete schedule here. Many showings will sell out, so we recommend buying tickets now. Tickets are $12/$10 seniors and students. More info tomorrow!