First of all, I want to thank every one of you who have donated or given of your time to these flood relief efforts. As you may know, the flood waters have spread across 17 Colorado counties and claimed eight lives. At this time, it is estimated that some 1,500 homes have been destroyed and about 17,500 damaged. The National Guard has rescued 2,100 people. Within our Jewish community, we know of several families who have lost everything or nearly everything. Many of the synagogues are starting the recovery process, Rabbi Wilhelm of Chabad @ CU and Rabbi Bornstein of Chabad of Longmont have both been sending teams to assist individuals with serious damage, and the Scheiner family from Lubavitch of Boulder County has been providing kosher meals to those in need.
As of Tuesday morning, we had received $75,000 in donations. Today we allocated all of that money to the American Red Cross, Bonai Shalom, Boulder JCC, Boulder JFS, Chabad at CU, Chabad of Longmont, Har HaShem, IsraAid, Lubavitch of Boulder County and Nechama. We are so thankful that we could get these funds directly out to these agencies to use right now for immediate clean up needs, food, clothing, and shelter. And despite the sun shining today, this crisis isn’t over.
IF YOU NEED HELP
If you are reading this and need assistance, please contact the following:
- NECHAMA: Jewish Response to Disaster provides direct cleanup assistance free of charge such as interior and exterior storm debris removal. Request assistance here: www.nechama.org/cofloods or by calling at 763.732.0610.
- If you need emotional support, assistance navigating forms, food, or other physical needs, contact Cathy Summer at Boulder JFS – CSummer@JewishFamilyService.
IF WANT TO HELP BY VOLUNTEERING
If you are reading this and want to help out, here are some options:
- Rabbi Wilhelm of Chabad at CU is organizing volunteers to assist homeowners right now. If you are available to help, contact the Rabbi at rabbi@JewishCU.com
- Bonai Shalom has set up an online exchange to connect folks in need of resources with resources. To access this, click here. You will need an access code to sign up: bonai
- Join Federation on Sunday September 22nd starting at 10:00 am for a big clean up mitzvah day. RSVP to Marisa Ellman at MEllman@ajfcolorado.org. For more information, click here.
IF WANT TO HELP BY DONATING
Click here to give to the 2013 Colorado Flood Relief Fund. One-hundred percent of these dollars will go directly to those affected by the floods (both organizations and individuals, Jews and non-Jews). To donate now, click here. We will be allocating money as we receive it.
President and CEO
Allied Jewish Federation of Colorado