Home / News / Man Bites Lion
Quick action by Michael Stein averted a potentially dangerous situation Wednesday morning near Flatirons Elementary School.

Man Bites Lion

Quick action by Michael Stein averted a potentially dangerous situation Wednesday morning near Flatirons Elementary School.  Stein was out walking his dog, Harley, when he saw an animal dart across the street near his home, only two blocks from the elementary school at 7th and Pennsylvania.  When he looked more closely, he saw that it was a fully-grown mountain lion.  “Luckily, Harley was playing tug of war with the leash and facing me, so he didn’t see the cat, which was also downwind from us,” Stein said.

Keeping his eye on where the cat had been, he called Boulder Animal Control at 7:15 am.  They appeared on the scene, with Boulder Police, a few minutes later.  While the Animal Control officer quizzed Stein about what he had seen (“are you sure it wasn’t a large house cat?”), they both saw the lion leap into a nearby tree.

At that point, Animal Control leaped into action, tranquilizing the cat and maneuvering it out of the tree.  Officers estimated the cat to be 120 pounds.  It was tagged and removed for re-location away from populated areas.

Stein was very relieved that neither he nor Harley ended up as breakfast for the wayward lion — and that none of the kids walking to school became a meal either.

About Staff

They call me "NewsHound III," because I'm a smart Cookie, sniffing out stories all over the Boulder area. I love Jewish holidays because the food is GREAT, especially the brisket. Well all the food. I was adopted from the Humane Society of Boulder Valley and have many friends there also looking for homes.

Check Also

Boulder Teen Wins $36,000 for Speaking Out Against Gun Violence

For her groundbreaking work against gun violence, Taylor Gleeson was just announced as a recipient of the 2017 Diller Teen Tikkun Olam Awards, a $36,000 award that recognizes teens for their commitment to social good and volunteer service.

Early Morning Kitchen Fire Destroys Lodge, Forces Evacuation of Ramah in the Rockies

A fire broke out in the kitchen at Ramah in the Rockies summer camp at 2:00 am on Monday morning, August 7, forcing the evacuation of 130 campers and the camp's staff to Denver.

One comment

  1. Great pictures! Thanks for the scoop Brownie.