Timing is everything. Girl Scout Cookies followed by Purim, then just a few weeks later – Passover. It’s the cookie orgy before March Matzoh Madness. By request, here’s our Hamentaschen recipe.
- 2/3 c. margarine or unsalted butter, softened
- ½ c. sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ T. orange juice
- 1 ½ T. milk
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 1/3 – 3 c. sifted flour
- 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 egg, beaten and mixed with 1 tsp. water for egg wash
- 3 T. cocoa powder (optional)
- Fruit jams or pie fillings (raspberry, cherry, prune, poppy seed, blueberry, almond)
- Peanut butter, Nutella, peanut butter cups, chocolate chips, nuts
- Tip: Purchase heart-shaped candies on sale right after Valentine’s Day – Dove, Reeses, etc. These make great easy fillings and the dough shapes nicely around them.
Cream the butter and sugar. Add egg, continue creaming until smooth. Add orange juice, milk and vanilla. Mix in the sifted flour and baking powder until a ball of dough is formed. Optional for chocolate dough: add 3 tablespoons of cocoa powder when adding the flour. Divide dough ball into 2 parts, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight. Clean up the kitchen, have a rest.
Alternate dough for gluten-free hamentaschen: replace flour and baking powder with 1 c almond flour, 1 cup all-purpose gluten free baking mix, and 1 c arrowroot. Use additional almond flour or baking mix to get to a smooth dough/not too sticky. When rolling, use arrowroot instead of flour.
Later: Preheat oven to 350 F. Prep cookie sheets with parchment paper. Roll out the dough to 1/8″ to 1/4″ inch thickness, on a lightly floured surface. Cut into rounds (2 3/4 – 3″ diameter) using a round cookie/biscuit cutter or just a drinking glass dipped in flour. Place 1 teaspoon filling in center (or if you are using those candies, be sure to remove the foil). Fold 3 sides in to form a triangle, leaving some of the filling exposed. Pinch the corners. Brush with egg wash. Put the tray in the fridge while you prep more cookies. Bake for about 20 minutes, until golden brown. Let cool before serving. Makes about 3 dozen. Eat before Passover.