Join the students and staff of CU’s Hillel as they present the 26th annual Holocaust Awareness Week which begins Monday, March 8. This year’s theme explores stories of resistance and heroism through the eyes of Holocaust survivors, camp liberators, authors and educators. For a complete schedule of events visit www.hillelcolorado.org and download the pdf schedule of events. Detailed information is also available at www.jewishmovers.org. All events are held in the UMC and are free and open to the public. Highlights through Thursday include:
Monday, March 8
- 11:00 AM Concentration camp liberator Sid Shafner, UMC 235
- 1:00 PM Walter Plywaski, Holocaust survivor, UMC 235
- 2:30 PM Lecture on Abraham Sutskever with CU Professor Robby Adler Peckerar, UMC 235. Abraham Sutskever is a Vilna ghetto survivor, Soviet writer and leading Yiddish poet.
- 7:00 PM Berel Lang, Professor of Philosophy and Holocaust Studies from Wesleyan University, UMC 235
Tuesday, March 9
- 11:00 AM Maria Krenz, Holocaust survivor, UMC 235
- 1:00 PM Film “Good Evening Mr. Wallenberg”,UMC 235. Raoul Wallenberg was a Swedish diplomat who risked his own life to save thousands of Jews in Hungary.
- 3:00 PM George Kondor, Holocaust survivor saved by Raoul Wallenberg,UMC 235
- 7:00 PM Author of “Hitler’s Jewish Soldiers,” Bryan Mark Riggs, UMC 235
Wednesday, March 10
- 11:00 AM Doris Small, Holocaust survivor, UMC 235
- 1:00 PM Mr. & Mrs. Zachary Kutner, Holocaust survivors, UMC 235
- 2:30 PM Stephen Feinberg, Director of International Holocaust Education at the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington, D.C., UMC 235. Stephen Feinberg will be addressing issues of Holocaust education internationally and the political challenges and issues of memory in different parts of the world.
- 7:00 PM Film “Blessed is the Match:The Life and Death of Hannah Senesh,” UMC 235. This film follows the story of a brave young poet, Hannah Senesh, captured after parachuting into Hungary. Followed by Q&A and discussions with director Roberta Grossman.
Thursday, March 11
- 11:00 AM Ella Mandel, Holocaust survivor from Auschwitz, UMC 235
- 1:00 PM Eric Cahn, Holocaust survivor, UMC 235
- 2:00 PM Closing Ceremonies, UMC Atrium
For questions or more information, contact CU’s Hillel at 303-442-6571. Holocaust Awareness Week is presented by CU’s Hillel and co-sponsored by the Program in Jewish Studies at CU, Art of the Flower, Menorah: Arts, Culture and Education at the Boulder JCC, the Cultural Events Board at CU and Boulder Weekly.